027

THE SHELBY FAMILY LOOKED OUT AT THE FIELD, quiet as Arthur lit the wagon that held John on fire. Lizzie and Linda walked up to where Johns body lay, placing roses beside it. "We're like sitting ducks here if the wops come" Finn told Charlie.

"Yeah well Tommy said we should do it out in the open."

"This is how John wanted to go. On the smoke, and the truth is, we died together once before. Arthur, me, Danny Whiz-Bang, Freddie Thorne, Jeremiah. And John" he spoke.

"We were cut off from the retreat, no bullets left, waiting for the Prussian cavalry to come finish us off. And while we waited, Jeremiah said we should sing in the bleak midwinter" he nodded. "But we were spared, the enemy never came. And we all agreed, that everything after that was extra. And when our time came we would all remember"

"You'd remember that God spared you" Polly's lip trembled. "But what did you do with that extra time that he gave you, eh, Thomas?"

He ignored her and helped Arthur light the wood on fire.

Through the smoke, a man stood staring at them, guns pointed. Suddenly a shot fired, everyone dropped to the floor.

"At ease, at ease" Tommy shouted. "Do not return fire" he said. "I repeat, do not return fire. Stand down"

Polly looked around.

"The men doing the firing, are on our side. I took the trouble of getting an invitation to Aberama Gold"

"Ah fuck, now it's begun" Johnny whispered.

"You put us out in the open on purpose" Polly said. "You bastard, you used Johns funeral as a fucking beacon" She raised her voice.

"We were never in any danger, Pol" Arthur said. "You set a trap" Polly shouted.

"Finn. Go to the yard and light the fires" Tommy said.

"You set a trap with us as fucking bait" Polly shouted. "Who is dead?" she asked. "Our enemies, Pol"

"Who's dead?" she asked again. "You wanna know Pol? Two fucking Italians who heard about the vendetta, trying to make a fucking name for themselves, that's who"

"We got word to them, about the funeral" Arthur nodded. "the where, the when..told em where to stand for the best shot"

"And Aberama Gold will do the rest" Tommy nodded toward the two people on horses, approaching. "That's the language of Vendetta"

"They take one of ours, we take two of theirs"

"You used your own brothers funeral" she spat. "When did we vote on this, Tommy?" she asked.

"Curly get the boat ready to take the bodies to the city. And another for anyone who wants no more part of this" he shouted. "Cause this is how it's gonna be"

-

Rosalie walked with Elizabeth in her arms, gently pushing the hospital door open. "Hello," she said quietly, looking at Micheal who sat tired in his bed. He gave her a weak smile and forced himself up to glance at the small girl.

"How's she been?" he asked. "She's okay, fussing slightly. How are you?"

"As good as i can be, i suppose.." Micheal shrugged, wincing in pain as he sat straight. "Did you go to the funeral?"

Rosalie shook her head. "I felt it wasn't my place to be there. I'm not apart of the family, after all."

"Not yet," Micheal said, a small grin on his face. She jokingly rolled her eyes and sat on a chair beside her bed. "Luca Changretta," Micheal hummed.

She bit her bottom lip, "yeah..i'll fix this, Micheal, i'll do something about it. If it means i have to kill someone with my own hands, Luca Changretta won't get away with it. And there's no doubt my father was involved."

"I don't want you doing anything that could risk you getting hurt-" he interrupted.

"Micheal," She argued.

"Rosalie, i'd kill a thousand men before i let anybody hurt you or Elizabeth." Micheal raised his eyebrows, dead serious.

A warm feeling filled Rosalie at his words. She felt herself smile and looked down, trying to hide it. "Do you have any idea when you will be home?"

He shook his head. "The doctors say it might be a while," he admitted. "But whilst you are at home by yourself, i'll get Tommy to send men to watch the house."

"Micheal that isn't necessary.."

Micheal frowned at her. "I don't want to take that chance, Rosa."

-