6

CHAPTER 6

SOPHIA’S POV

I was zipping up my suitcase when my phone rang. Dad's name flashed on the screen. I answered with a grin, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear as I continued packing. Her is out on a business trip and I miss him so much, I really wish he would be here today, but I think I will cope just fine.

"Hey, Dad!"

"Hey, sweetheart," he greeted warmly. "Just wanted to give you a little advice before you head off to college." Here he goes again, my father would get an award if they were one giving for constant advice.

I chuckled, rolling my eyes playfully. "Dad, seriously? I'm not a kid anymore. I can handle myself."

He laughed too, a warm sound that made my heart feel lighter. "I know you're not a kid, Sophia. But old habits die hard, you know."

I sighed, feigning exasperation. "Dad, I promise I won't set the dorm on fire or anything." I know if not for his constant check up, I would have done that to our home, I am a terrible cook and he has always been the one doing the cooking for us.

He chuckled again, but then his tone turned a bit more serious. "I know you're grown now, but you'll always be my little girl. Just remember to make smart choices and be responsible." he said the word “Smart choices,” it sure does sound like he is talking about sex without actually mentioning the word sex in it.

I paused for a moment, touched by his words. "I will, Dad. You don't have to worry."

"I know," he said softly. "But, you see, I'll still worry. It's my job as a parent."

I sighed, relenting just a bit. "Okay, fine. You can worry a little, but not too much." I teased him.

He laughed, and I could practically picture the amused twinkle in his eyes. "Deal. And you know Henry will be there too, right?" at the mention of the name Henry, everything within me clenched up and froze, I hate the power it had on me, I have not seen him in years and it always thesame old story and effect.

I snorted, amused. "Oh, great. The watchful eye of Henry." I had this tone and act which I always put up when it comes to Henry, I don’t want my dad figuring out that I was super excited about living with him.

Dad chuckled. "He's like family, you know that. And he promised to keep an eye out for you."

I raised an eyebrow, a smirk forming. "Why, does he think I can't take care of myself?"

Dad laughed heartily. "No, of course not. But he's there to help and support you."

I grinned, unable to hide my amusement. "And what if I don't want him hovering around?" I sure do want him hovering around and doing more than that but I wasn’t going to admit that to my dad.

Dad's tone was gentle. "Sophia, I trust that you can make your own decisions. But it's his way of looking out for you, just like me. And he will just be there like a father figure in your life just because I won’t be there always" I cringe at the thought of having act like a father towards me, although I wanted a lot of naughty things only a sweet daddy could do to me, from him. I laugh at the thought of moaning and telling him, “Yes Daddy, I want more,”

I sighed, my playfulness melting into something more sincere. "I know, Dad. And I appreciate it."

Dad continued, "And guess what? If you had gotten a school-reserved hostel, I'd still prefer you staying with Henry." I would have preferred it to, that is why I never took the liberty of even applying for one, but I lied to my father that I did. 

I chuckled, trying to play it off. "Oh, really? Why's that?"

He didn't miss a beat. "Because he's like family, and I trust him."