28

CHAPTER 28

SOPHIA’S POV

I woke up that morning with a silent prayer on my lips, hoping that the day wouldn't bring another clash with Henry. It was like a never-ending cycle, one minute we were all smiles, and the next we were locked in heated arguments. I longed for a peaceful day, devoid of tension and drama.

As I descended the stairs, I couldn't help but wonder what the day had in store. To my surprise, Henry wasn't alone in the living room. My heart leaped with joy when I spotted my father standing there, looking as distinguished and loving as ever. Without a moment's hesitation, I rushed to him, engulfing him in a bear hug.

"Daddy!" I exclaimed, feeling an overwhelming surge of affection. "I've missed you."

His warm embrace enveloped me, just as I remembered it from my childhood. "I've missed you too, Sophia," he replied, his voice filled with genuine affection.

But before I could savor the precious reunion any longer, Henry chimed in with a teasing grin, "Ah, a real daddy's girl, aren't you, Sophia?"

I chuckled, feeling a sense of completeness wash over me. Henry had been a crucial part of my life for so long, and he and my father had always gotten along remarkably well.

However, my father's next words took me by surprise. "Sophia," he began, "I want you to meet someone."

My curiosity piqued, I asked, "Someone? Who is it?"

Without much ado, a young woman stepped forward from the living room. She looked to be in her late twenties, her beauty striking in its simplicity. Her name, my father told me, was Kayla, the lady he was currently dating.

Kayla approached me with an amiable smile, her eyes filled with warmth. "Sophia," she said, "It's a delight to finally meet you."

I stood there, my arms firmly at my sides, unwilling to embrace her. The atmosphere in the room grew tense as silence hung heavily. My father had made it clear that he was moving on, but the reality of seeing him with another woman was something I hadn't quite prepared for.

My father seemed oblivious to the tension. He continued to smile, blissfully unaware of the storm brewing inside me. "Sophia," he said, "I know this might be a bit overwhelming, but I hope you can be happy for me."

Kayla chimed in, attempting to bridge the gap between us. "Sophia, your father has told me so much about you. I'd love for us to get to know each other better."

I struggled to find the right words. My emotions were a tangled mess, a mixture of love for my father and a sense of protectiveness that only children can truly understand. I wanted him to be happy, of course, but it was hard to shake off the feeling that things would never be the same again.

In that moment, I realized that life had thrown yet another curveball my way. Change was inevitable, and I had to find a way to navigate these uncharted waters with grace. But for now, I stood there, locked in a silent standoff with Kayla, my heart a battleground of emotions.

As we sat around the breakfast table, the air was thick with tension. My father, Henry, Kayla, and I were all there, but the dynamics of the conversation were anything but harmonious. My father had introduced Kayla as his new partner, and the mere presence of this new woman in our lives seemed to have thrown a spanner in the works.

"So, Sophia," my father began, attempting to break the ice, "how has UCLA been treating you? I hear you're doing exceptionally well."

I smiled, finally finding a safe topic of conversation. "Yes, Dad, UCLA has been great. The professors are fantastic, and I'm really enjoying my courses."