7

CHAPTER 7

HENRY’S POV

Collins' call had left me on edge, a feeling of apprehension settling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't ignore his request, not when he was my oldest friend and a business associate I couldn't say no to. But the thought of what was to come filled me with a sense of unease. There is no way I would survive in the same house as Sophia, there were just so much complication to that.

I dialed Lynda's number, hoping her cheerful presence could lift my spirits. As she walked in with that signature smile, she didn't hesitate to point out my less-than-stellar appearance. "You look like shit," she quipped. That was Lynda for you, she was just so direct about her approach and there was no way she would mince her words just to make me feel better.

I chuckled, running a hand through my hair. "Feeling like it too."

She raised an eyebrow, her gaze full of curiosity. "And why is that? Is your empire not standing as tall today?"

I let out a dry laugh. "Business is the least of my worries right now." I muttered, this wasn’t just about business and we both knew.

Lynda playfully nudged me. "You're always so serious, Henry. Lighten up a bit."

I sighed, feeling the weight of my concerns pressing down on me. "Believe me, I wish I could."

Her gaze softened, concern replacing her playfulness. "Okay, spill it. What's really bothering you?"

I hesitated, unsure of how to put my feelings into words. "Sophia is coming to LA."

Lynda's confusion was palpable, I had mentioned Sophia once but never had I gone into actual details about her. "Sophia? As in Collins' daughter?"

I nodded, my unease growing with every passing second. "Yeah, that Sophia."

She crossed her arms, a quizzical look on her face. "I fail to see how that's a problem. She's just his daughter, and she is also like a daughter to you, right?"

I let out a sigh, struggling to articulate the complexities of the situation. "It's not that simple, Lynda. Sophia is... different."

She raised an eyebrow. "Different how?" she was giving me the normal suspicious look and I knew I needed to give out more information before she sucks it out from me.

I ran a hand through my hair again, frustration bubbling up within me. "We have a history, a long one. She's not just his daughter; she's a girl I've known since she was a kid."

Lynda's confusion deepened. "Okay, so she's a kid that you have known since childhood. Why is that a problem?"

I leaned against the table, meeting her gaze with a sense of resignation. "Because it's not just that. She... she has feelings for me."

Lynda's eyes widened in realization. "Oh, I see. And you don't feel the same way?"

I shook my head, a heavy sigh escaping my lips. "No, I don't. She's young, way too young, and it's just a crush. But now that she's coming here, it's like the beginning of a disaster I've been avoiding for years." I tried not to give much information, but I knew I would eventually have to give more context to it.

Lynda's expression softened, understanding dawning in her eyes. "Ah, I get it now. You're worried about her feelings and how it might complicate things."

I nodded, feeling a sense of relief at her comprehension. "Exactly. She's my best friend's daughter, for crying out loud. This situation is a minefield waiting to explode."

Lynda settled beside me, her presence a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves. She had always been the friendly face in the chaos since I'd moved to Florida, a true companion in the unpredictable world of business. Our friendship had grown as she supported my career, and her unwavering kindness had firmly sealed our bond. She had been friends with my ex-wife and I contemplated reaching out to her when I moved to Florida but when I did, she welcomed me with open arms and didnt make things weird one bit.