14

CHAPTER 14

Sophia’s POV

I strolled onto the campus, Jason's familiar figure appeared, his casual confidence evident as he walked toward me. With a friendly smile, he pulled me into a welcoming hug. "Hey there, hangover queen. Survived the morning?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Barely had one, so no heroic survival tales today."

He laughed, his eyes dancing with amusement. "You're becoming a pro at this, huh?"

Leaning against a nearby bench, I crossed my arms. "Well, practice makes perfect, right?"

He grinned, then his expression turned thoughtful. "You know, I was thinking about the house I dropped you off at yesterday."

I raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. "Oh, really? What about it?"

He tapped his chin playfully. "Took me a moment, but I finally placed it. Remember that billionaire I did a cinematography shoot for last year? The one who's under 40 and ridiculously rich?"

I feigned nonchalance, though a pang of discomfort surged within me. "Vaguely rings a bell. What about him?"

His grin widened, and I could tell he was enjoying teasing me. "Turns out that mansion was his."

I shrugged, brushing it off. "So what? Lots of rich folks have mansions."

Jason arched an eyebrow, clearly relishing his role as the bearer of interesting news. "True, but this isn't just any rich guy. It's Henry Wilder, the wealthiest billionaire in town."

I pretended surprise. "Oh, really? He's that loaded?"

He chuckled, not fooled by my act. "Come on, Soph. You're being awfully casual about it."

I sighed, giving in to the inevitable. "Okay, yes. I know him. Kind of."

His eyes gleamed with curiosity. "Kind of? What does that mean?"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Okay, fine. He's sort of like a family friend."

He smirked, leaning against the bench next to me. "Sort of family friend? Explain."

I sighed, realizing I couldn't keep my connection to Henry a secret any longer. "He's my dad's best friend, alright?"

Jason's eyebrows shot up. "Your dad's best friend? Seriously?"

I nodded, looking away. "Yeah, seriously."

He whistled appreciatively. "Well, well, isn't that interesting. You really are full of surprises, Sophia Skye."

I grinned, relieved that my admission hadn't thrown him off too much. "Yep, I'm a regular enigma."

He laughed, his eyes warm as he looked at me. "I believe it. So, what's the story there? How come the richest guy in town is your dad's best friend?"

I shrugged, keeping it vague. "They've known each other for a long time. Business stuff, I guess."

He nodded, studying me for a moment. "You're keeping something from me, but I won't pry."

I flashed him a grateful smile. "Thanks for understanding."

Jason clapped his hands together, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Alright, mysterious millionaire heiress, let's ditch the secrets and go grab some lunch. My treat."

I playfully rolled my eyes at his dramatic introduction. "Fine, but only if you promise not to mention my newfound millionaire status to anyone."

He held up his hand as if taking an oath. "Scout's honor. Your secret's safe with me."

As we walked towards the cafeteria.

****

After class, I decided to pay a visit to Henry. I knew he had a soft spot for me, and it was time to explore that weakness. As I walked, lost in thought, a familiar voice called my name. I turned to see Molly approaching, her smile as bright as ever. "Hey, Sophia!"

I greeted her back with a smile. "Hey, Molly. What's up?"

Molly linked her arm with mine, her enthusiasm contagious. "I was just about to head out and do some hanging out. Wanna join?"

I hesitated, knowing I had plans to see Henry, but Molly's playful tone got the best of me. "I actually have something to take care of, but thanks for the invite."

Molly feigned a pout. "Oh, come on. Don't tell me you're ditching me because I'm not Jason."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No, it's not like that. I just have some stuff to do."

Seizing the opportunity, Molly grinned mischievously. "How about shopping? Retail therapy, my treat."

I contemplated her offer. My recent encounter with Henry's lingering gaze on my nightgown made me think I should maybe experiment with more attention-grabbing outfits. "Shopping, huh? Alright, you've convinced me."

As we walked towards the mall, Molly took a trip down memory lane, sharing childhood stories involving Jason. Her eyes twinkled with nostalgia as she recounted their adventures. "You know, Jason and I go way back. We've been friends forever."

I laughed, enjoying her anecdotes. "I can tell you guys have quite the history."

Molly's tone turned more serious. "Actually, there's something I should tell you. Jason has a way of getting under your skin, and I've realized he's taken a liking to you."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued by her honesty. "Really? That's news to me."

She nodded, her expression a mix of sincerity and worry. "I've had a crush on him for ages, and I'd love to see him happy, even if it's not with me. But I won't stand by if some new girl comes along and messes things up."

I blinked, surprised by her candor. "Wait, what? Molly, you think there's something between Jason and me?"

She smiled knowingly. "I see the way he looks at you. And I know he can be stubborn, but if he starts falling for you, just promise me you won't break his heart."

I chuckled, caught off guard by the intensity of the conversation. "Molly, trust me, Jason and I are just friends. There's nothing like that going on."

Her smile returned, genuine this time. "Good to hear. I just had to make sure. We're gonna get along just fine then."

As we continued our way to the mall, I couldn't help but wonder about the dynamics Molly had hinted at. Jason's interest in me was news to me, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it. One thing was for certain though – my own agenda involving Henry was far more intriguing and potentially complicated.  This wasn’t the complication I wanted.