59

SOPHIA

I grabbed my phone, anxiety churning in my stomach like a turbulent sea. The weight of the situation had settled heavily on my shoulders, and I needed a lifeline. Kylie, my confidante in all things chaotic, would be the perfect sounding board.

I dialed her number, the phone ringing a series of ominous tones before she finally picked up.

"Hey, Sophia! What's up?" Kylie's voice, usually bubbly and full of energy, now carried a hint of concern.

"Kylie, you won't believe what happened," I began, my words tumbling out in a rush. "Henry's ex-wife, Catherine, showed up out of nowhere, and she's trying to blackmail us."

"Wait, what?" Kylie's response crackled through the phone. "Blackmail? Are you serious?"

I let out a heavy sigh. "Dead serious. She knows about us, about Henry and me, and she wants money to keep it quiet. If we don't pay up, she's threatening to spill the beans to her dad."

There was a moment of silence on the other end, and I could almost sense Kylie processing the information.

"Okay, this is like some soap opera drama. What are you guys going to do?" Kylie's voice was a mix of curiosity and concern.

"That's the thing; we're still figuring it out. Henry told me about her gambling problem, and she's using this as leverage. It's a complete mess," I confessed, frustration seeping into my words.

Kylie's gasp traveled through the phone. "Wow, that's a whole new level of crazy. But you guys can't let her win. There has to be a way to outsmart her."

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "That's what we're hoping for. But it's just so... complicated, you know?"

Kylie chuckled. "Complicated is your middle name, Soph. But seriously, you've got to stay strong. Don't let this woman ruin what you and Henry have."

"I won't, Kylie. We'll fight this together. I just needed to vent, you know?"

"Absolutely, that's what friends are for. And I'm here for you, no matter how crazy things get," Kylie assured me.

A sense of gratitude washed over me. "Thanks, Kylie. I needed to hear that."

"So, spill the details. How did Catherine even find out about you and Henry?" Kylie probed.

"Well, she just showed up at his office one day, and things escalated from there. It's like a storm hit us out of nowhere," I explained, the events unfolding in my mind.

"Unbelievable. But you're going to weather this storm, Soph. You've got Henry, and you've got me cheering you on from the sidelines."

I smiled, feeling a surge of strength. "Thanks, Kylie. I appreciate it more than you know."

*****

I strolled into school, backpack slung over one shoulder, attempting to shake off the lingering stress from the Catherine debacle. As I navigated through the familiar corridors, Jannette spotted me and rushed over, her eyes wide with a mix of excitement and concern.

"Sophia, you won't believe what just happened!" Jannette exclaimed, her words practically tumbling out.

I raised an eyebrow, the chaos in my life making me accustomed to expecting the unexpected. "What now?"

"Jason. He came to my house, looking all pitiful, asking me to talk to you, to make you forgive him," she divulged, her expression a mix of amusement and disbelief.

My jaw dropped. "You're kidding, right? After everything he's done?"

Jannette shook her head. "I wish I were. He said he's really sorry and that he messed up big time. And get this, he even brought flowers."