72

CHAPTER 72

HENRY’S POV

The sterile scent of the hospital room began to fade as laughter and chatter filled the air. Sophia and I were seated on the bed, sharing a moment of solace, when the door burst open, and in came Kylie, a whirlwind of energy and excitement.

"Sophia!" Kylie exclaimed, rushing over to hug her friend. "I've been trying to reach you for days. What happened? Are you okay?"

Sophia's eyes sparkled with surprise and joy. "Kylie, you're here!"

I smiled, realizing how much Sophia needed her friend at this moment. "Hey, Kylie. I'm Henry, by the way."

Kylie turned toward me, extending a hand with a warm grin. "Oh, Henry! Sophia's told me so much about you. It's a pleasure finally to meet the man who's captured her heart."

I chuckled, shaking her hand. "Likewise, Kylie. I've heard a lot about you too."

Sophia, now sandwiched between us, looked genuinely happy. "Guys, this is amazing! I can't believe you're both here."

Kylie pulled a chair closer, joining us in our little circle. "So, spill. What's been going on? Sophia, you vanished on us, and I was starting to worry."

Sophia glanced at me, silently seeking approval to share the details. I nodded, and she took a deep breath. "It's been a rollercoaster, Kylie. My dad found out about Henry and me, and, well, it didn't go so well."

Kylie's eyes widened in surprise. "Wait, what? You shouldn’t have gone that far Soph? How?"

Sophia sighed, launching into the story of the tumultuous events that had unfolded. As she spoke, emotions flitted across Kylie's face – shock, anger, concern.

"Henry," Kylie turned to me, her eyes narrowing in mock accusation, "you've been causing trouble in paradise."

I raised my hands in mock defense. "Hey, I assure you, I'm more of a victim in this drama."

Sophia laughed, and I couldn't help but admire the camaraderie between these two friends. It was exactly what Sophia needed.

Kylie leaned back in her chair, looking between us. "Okay, enough of the drama. What's the plan now? How do we fix this?"

Sophia glanced at me, silently conveying that she wasn't alone in this anymore. "We're figuring it out, Kylie. Henry and I, we're in this together."

Kylie nodded approvingly. "Good. Now, let's focus on getting you out of here and back on your feet. Henry, you better take care of her properly."

I grinned. "I promise, Kylie. She's in good hands."

SOPHIA’S POV

Kylie's tears mirrored the pain in my own heart as we sat there. Henry had just left, his departure leaving a void in the room, and Kylie, my dear friend, couldn't contain her emotions any longer.

"Sophia," Kylie began, her voice shaky, "I can't lose you. You mean everything to me, and seeing you like this... it's tearing me apart."

I bit my lip, fighting back my own tears. I never intended to hurt the people I cared about, yet here we were, entangled in a web of emotions and consequences.

"Ky," I whispered, "I never wanted to put you through this. I never wanted anyone to worry about me."

Kylie wiped away her tears, a mixture of frustration and concern etched across her face. "Soph, you've got to promise me – no more of this overdosing nonsense. You scared me to death."

The gravity of her words sank in, and I nodded, my voice hoarse with emotion. "I promise, Kylie. No more stunts. I can't bear to see you hurting because of me."

She exhaled, a mixture of relief and frustration. "Good. Because I need you. We need each other. You can't shut us out like this."

A faint smile played on my lips as I tried to lighten the mood. "You sound like a motivational speaker, Ky."

Kylie chuckled through her tears. "Well, someone's got to keep you in check, right?"

I nodded, grateful for her attempt to inject humor into the heavy atmosphere. "You're right. I need a reality check now and then."

"But seriously, Sophia," Kylie's expression grew serious again, "you have people who care about you. Henry cares about you. I saw it in his eyes. And I care about you more than words can express."

A lump formed in my throat as I absorbed her words. "I don't deserve friends like you, Ky. I've messed everything up."

She reached for my hand, squeezing it gently. "We all make mistakes. What matters is how we learn from them and move forward. And right now, we need to get you out of this hospital and back to living."

The mention of living felt both daunting and hopeful. Could I truly move forward, or was I forever bound by the consequences of my actions?

"Ky, what do I do about my dad?" I asked, uncertainty in my eyes.

Kylie sighed, contemplating her words. "He's your dad, Soph. I can't pretend to understand the complexities of your relationship, but maybe... maybe with time, he'll come around. We can only hope."

I nodded, the weight of my father's disapproval pressing on my shoulders. "I just want things to be okay again."

Kylie smiled warmly. "They will be. But you've got to take it one step at a time. And right now, the first step is getting out of this hospital."

*****
The air in my room felt charged with tension as my father stepped in, his gaze a mix of concern and regret. I sat on the edge of my bed, unsure of how this conversation would unfold.

"Dad," I started, my voice a delicate whisper, "we need to talk."

He nodded solemnly, taking a seat opposite me. "I know, Sophia. I've been doing a lot of thinking."

The admission surprised me. My father, the stoic Collins, rarely revealed the inner workings of his mind. But there he was, ready to address the elephant in the room.

"I messed up, Soph. I let my fears and prejudices cloud my judgment. You're not a child anymore, and I should have respected your choices."

His words hung in the air, a bridge between the chasm that had opened up between us. I took a deep breath, pushing past the resentment that had festered.

"Dad, it hurt. You rejecting me like that. I thought you'd disown me."

His eyes softened, remorse etched on his face. "I never meant to make you feel that way. I was just scared for you."

The vulnerability in his admission cracked the walls I had built around myself. I felt a surge of compassion, a daughter understanding her father's flaws.

"I get it, Dad. I get that you were trying to protect me. But I'm not a kid anymore. I can make my own choices, even if they're not the choices you'd make."

He nodded, acknowledging the truth in my words. "You're right, Sophia. I need to learn to let go a bit."

A moment of silence hung between us before I mustered the courage to broach a lighter topic. "You know, Dad, you should consider settling down."

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Settling down? Where did that come from?"

I grinned mischievously. "Well, you can't keep living the bachelor life forever. And besides, you should wife up Kayla. She's the best."

His expression shifted from surprise to amusement. "Kayla, huh? She's a good woman, I'll give you that."

I nodded, a playful glint in my eyes. "Absolutely. She's been a good friend to both of us. And who knows, maybe she can handle your stubbornness better than I can."

He chuckled, a rare sound that warmed the room. "You might be onto something, Soph. Maybe it's time I start thinking about the future."

I raised an eyebrow, my teasing smile unwavering. "And who knows, you might even beat Henry to the altar."

His laughter filled the room, a sign that the rift between us was healing. "Well, we'll see about that. But I appreciate you looking out for me, Sophia."