29

CHAPTER 29

SOPHIA’S POV

I took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for what lay ahead. I had made a decision, one that was challenging my pride and stubbornness. I needed to give Kayla a chance, not only for my father's sake but for my own peace of mind.

I sought out my dad and found him in his study, engrossed in some paperwork. He looked up, his eyes lighting up when he saw me.

"Hey, sweetie," he greeted, his smile warm and inviting.

"Dad," I began, trying to keep my voice steady, "I... I'm sorry for the way I reacted earlier. I want to make an effort to get to know Kayla."

His smile widened, and he stood up, coming over to hug me tightly. "That's wonderful, Sophia. You won't regret it."

With a sigh of relief, I went up to my father's bedroom, steeling myself for the next part of my mission. I opened the door, and there she was—Kayla, sitting on the edge of the bed, looking perfectly at ease in our home.

I walked up to her, my expression stern, and she glanced up, her eyes meeting mine. "Can I help you with something, Sophia?"

I took a deep breath and decided it was time to confront Kayla. I couldn't let my doubts and suspicions fester. Kayla looked up, her expression polite but guarded. I could see she was bracing herself for whatever I had to say.

"Kayla," I began, trying to keep my tone as civil as possible, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for my earlier behavior. I'm willing to make an effort to get to know you."

My father's face lit up with relief, and he patted the space beside him on the bed. "That's wonderful, sweetheart. Sit down, and let's talk."

I took a seat next to my father, but my eyes remained fixed on Kayla. "But," I continued, my gaze unwavering, "I want to make something clear. I don't know what your intentions are with my father, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things."

Kayla raised an eyebrow, her composure unshaken. "Intentions? Sophia, I genuinely care for your father. I'm not after his money, and I'm not playing any games."

I wasn't convinced. "Well, actions speak louder than words, Kayla."

She sighed, her frustration finally breaking through her calm exterior. "Sophia, I understand your concern, but you have to trust that this relationship is based on love and companionship. I'm not here to replace your mother."

I leaned in closer, my tone more assertive. "Good, because you never will. My mother was one of a kind, and no one can take her place."

My father interjected, attempting to ease the tension. "Sophia, give Kayla a chance. You might find that you like her."

I turned to him, my resolve unwavering. "I'm willing to give her a chance, but I won't be naive about it."

Kayla let out a frustrated breath, her patience wearing thin. "Sophia, I can't change your perception of me overnight. All I can do is be honest and sincere in my intentions."

I nodded, acknowledging her words but not fully accepting them. "Just remember, Kayla, I'm watching."

With that, I left the room, leaving my father and Kayla alone. It was a small victory for me, but it was a start. I couldn't let my guard down completely, not when I felt like my father's happiness was at stake.

*****

Dinner at the fancy restaurant was becoming more challenging by the minute. My father, Henry, Kayla, and I sat around the table, engaged in polite conversation. Well, everyone except me.