11

CHAPTER 11

HENRY’S POV

The board meeting had been dragging on for what felt like an eternity. My mind kept drifting, unable to shake off the anticipation of going back home and facing Sophia. It was a strange mixture of excitement and apprehension, knowing that she was now living under the same roof as me.

As the meeting wrapped up, Lynda walked into my office with her usual cheerful demeanor. She hugged me and immediately brought up the topic that was currently consuming my thoughts. "So, how did you survive the night with your inseparable, childhood crush?" She teased with a playful grin.

I let out a half-hearted chuckle. "Yeah, real funny." I knew she was trying to lighten the mood, but the truth was that I was still trying to navigate this unexpected turn of events.

Lynda didn't miss a beat. "Come on, Henry, it can't be that bad. And I told you so."

I rolled my eyes, unable to deny that she had been right about this not being a catastrophe waiting to happen. "Well, yeah, so far it's been... tolerable."

She raised an eyebrow, clearly amused. "Tolerable? That's quite the compliment."

I leaned back in my chair, letting out a sigh. "Look, it's just for one night. I can handle that."

Lynda chuckled. "Henry, you worry too much. Trust me, the other nights will go just fine too. Sophia doesn't seem to be harboring a lifelong crush on you. She's just a young woman trying to find her way in the world."

I glanced at Lynda, skeptical. "You think so?"

She nodded with a reassuring smile. "I know so. She's here to study, to build a career, and to have new experiences. It's time to let go of the worry and enjoy having her around as the talented, independent adult she's become."

I leaned back in my chair, feeling a mixture of relief and uncertainty. Lynda had a way of putting things into perspective, and I appreciated her candid advice. Still, there was a lingering unease about the whole situation. "I hope you're right."

Lynda gave my shoulder a friendly pat. "Trust me, I am. Now, enough about that. Let's focus on work and tackle whatever challenges come our way, whether they're business-related or... Sophia-related."

I managed a small smile. "Thanks, Lynda. I appreciate your support."

She winked at me. "That's what friends are for, right?"

Lynda's question caught me off guard. It was one of those topics that I had buried deep within, hoping it would never resurface. But as we sat in my office, her curiosity got the better of her. "So, what is it that you never told Collins about the affair you had with his wife?" she asked, her tone inquisitive.

I let out a sigh and leaned back in my chair, correcting her. "Point of correction, Lynda. I didn't have an affair with her." The memory of those days resurfaced, and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

Lynda's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Oh, excuse me. So what happened then?"

I took a deep breath before answering, trying to put the pieces together in my mind. "I met her before she even knew Collins. We were in love, deeply in love." The memories were bittersweet, a time when everything seemed perfect.

Lynda's eyes widened in astonishment. "Wait, you were in love with her? But then what went wrong?"

My gaze dropped to the floor as I continued. "She told me she was pregnant. But it wasn't mine. She had slept with someone else during a one-night stand."

Lynda's reaction was immediate and intense. "Are you freaking kidding me?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing, and honestly, I couldn't either.

I shook my head slowly. "I wish I were, Lynda. I wish it were just a twisted joke." The pain of that revelation still lingered after all these years.