D-Day : Part 2

Saerim

My eyes are aching due to the blinding-flashy cameras around me.

I glanced over to the right to see Grandpa Mark being welcomed to the podium.

"Good morning everyone. First of all, thank you for joining us on short notice. So without any further ado, I announce that, I am immensely obliged to prefer Ms. Kim Saerim as my successor and CEO of my corporation , M.K group of companies. I hope she will take this company to unprecedented success with her astonishing talent ", said Grandpa Mark with a flashy smile.

I gazed at Grandpa with a reassuring nod.

I walked to the podium and greeted my Grandpa. As held my head up high with pride, that was how I was taught, not to bow to anyone except to your elders .

I was taught to fight my tears and to fear nothing but the almighty.

These thoughts kept pacing through my mind. 

I adjusted my mic ,

" I Kim Saerim, pledge to begin with honesty and transparency. I pledge to uphold the integrity of the company and its employees. I will work towards the betterment of the company. This I do solemnly swear."

The words echoed through the walls , " This I do solemnly swear".

TIME SKIP : AT NIGHT

Minhee

"Where are you heading to? Should I tag along? ", I asked Serim who was about to leave with the car key."No, You've worked hard today, take some rest... I am going to meet Grandpa. I'll see you soon ." She said with a tight smile.I nodded by giving her a thumbs up.

Saerim

I reached myGrandpa's condo, it was humongous and adorned with antiquities, unlike ourswhich was a modest yet tidy apartment.I slowly punched the numbers on his doorpanel. "Grandpa?", I called in a soft voice. I couldn't find him inthe living room, I climbed up the stairs and knocked on the door to his office."Come in ", I heard him.The door creaked as I opened it."Grandpa" I smiled at him as he waved his hands at me. He slowlystood from his table and sat on the couch. " Why did you call me at this hour?it's about to be midnight. You should be in bed already ", I asked with aworried look.

Grandpa Mark

I could see worry in her eyes. I smiled at her and motioned her to sit near me . She slowly sat near me."Saerim ", I delicately patted her head ." I wanted to tell you a few things before I leave for Japan tomorrow"."What?!!! " She exclaimed incredulously.

 "Listen to me first okay? no questions now ", I calmed her." You know that right, that I always wanted to live in Japan. It was my spouse's dream to settle there, but the circumstances didn't allow us to ." " I am happy that everything is going smoothly, I know you will take care of the company " I looked into her deep brown eyes.Tears had already welled up in her eyes..I slowly took her hand in mine, " Look, don't cry. 

 I want you and Minhee to move in here tomorrow. I have asked my secretary to make the necessary arrangements, you don't have to see me at the airport.

As I spoke those words, there was a steel in my voice. "Listen, Saerimah," I said, my grip tightening  , " You're stepping into a world where trust is earned, not freely given. Keep your guard up, always."

Her gaze met mine, a mixture of determination and apprehension in those eyes. She understood the gravity of the situation.

"Starting tomorrow, it's on you," I continued, my words deliberate. " It's a tough world out there, and you need to be tougher."

As I embraced her, it wasn't just a comforting gesture, it was a silent promise. "Remember, Saerimah, never trust anyone blindly. And never, ever give up. You've got the fire in you, let it burn bright."

She nodded again, a fire igniting in her own eyes. She knew what was at stake, and she was ready to face it head-on.

With a final, reassuring squeeze, I pulled away. My voice softened, but the weight of my words remained. "Take care of Minhee. You're not just responsible for yourself now."

"Yes, I will, Grandpa," she said with a trembling voice and shaky eyes, which were fighting back the tears.