Chapter 1

Violetshadow walked proudly alongside her leader on the way to the Gathering. Her first Gathering as deputy. She could feel the eyes of several of her Clanmates on her back, silently questioning Stonestar's decision of her appointment. 'She's too young,' 'She killed a cat,' and 'She's only been a mentor for less than a moon.'

    And they were all correct, but the truth was, Violetshadow had played the game and she had won. Almost. She wasn't leader of EchoClan just yet, but she was well on her way to being just that.

    BrookClan was already settled into the clearing when the EchoClan cats filed in. Violetshadow didn't cast any of them a single glance as she took her rightful place at the base of the Fallenoak beside Lionstripe. The broad shouldered tom's glowing amber eyes bore into her, almost challenging, but Violetshadow only met his gaze calmly, standing her ground.

    "Where's Darkmoon?" the BrookClan deputy asked.

    "Darkmoon is no longer the deputy of EchoClan," Violetshadow responded in a calm voice.

    "And who is?"

Are all BrookClan cats this stupid? Violetshadow almost said, but she kept her composure. "You're looking at her." She felt a thrill run through her body as she said the words. She turned her head away from the tom and caught a flash of movement in the crowd. A dark gray tom with brown splotches made his way to the front of the line of cats and waved his tail at her, although it happened so fast she wondered if it was just a mere tail twitch. Violetshadow knew this tom, however. Tarantulaclaw. She remembered his last words to her, when they had rescued Foxflame and Lilacsnow earlier that day; "When I see you again, I hope to greet you as deputy." Well he certainly kept to his word, she thought, catching his gaze for a moment, before she turned to the new arrivals in the clearing, FernClan.

    Barkstar led his Clan into the Hollow and leapt up onto the Fallenoak beside his fellow leaders. That will be me soon, Violetshadow told herself. Ashwind took a spot beside Lionstrip and shot Violetshadow a curious look, although he didn't say anything, evidently sensing that the leaders were about to start the Gathering.

    "Cats of all Clans," Willowstar began. "Welcome to the Gathering."

    Barkstar and Willowstar made their reports. New kits in BrookClan, and Cloudpaw had earned his warrior name, Cloudsky. When Stonestar stepped forward, Violetshadow held her breath. This was it. She was to be announced to the Clans as the new deputy of EchoClan.

    "Cats of all Clans," Stonestar began. "As you may have have noticed, Darkmoon is not with us tonight. Just this night, tragedy struck, and my—our faithful deputy has joined StarClan." He paused, and Violetshadow sensed a slight tremor to his voice when he spoke again. "I have appointed Violetshadow as the new deputy of EchoClan."

    There was a few shocked whispers that circulated through the crowd of cats and Violetshadow felt significantly more eyes on her as Stonestar let his words sink in. Willowstar was trying to quiet the murmurings of the cats when there was a sudden silence that wasn't caused by the BrookClan leader.

    Violetshadow tried not to let out an annoyed hiss as she saw who had just entered the clearing.

    "Forestpaw?"