Chapter 3

Violetshadow was faced with one small issue that she hadn't thought about much until now.

    Stonestar still had lives left. She couldn't just kill him, because he would just move on to his next life. She'd have to first find out how many lives he had left and then figure out how to—how she should put this?—diminish them.

    Obviously, this would be easier said then done, but she had gotten this far and she wasn't stopping now. But how to find this valuable piece of information? She couldn't ask, that would be suspicious. No one in the Clan knew except Stonestar himself and the medicine cats. Although she might be able to get Dandelionheart or Forestpaw to tell her. She could always estimate of course, based on the past few seasons he's been leader—

    "Violetshadow!"

    Violetshadow whipped around to find Griffinwing standing a few steps away from her, Sparrowfeather at her side, although he wouldn't look directly at her.

    "Yes, Griffinwing?" Violetshadow said, only acknowledging the she-cat.

    "Are you going to organize patrols or anything?" Griffinwing said, her tail twitching. "You know, like actually doing your deputy duties?" She said the word 'deputy' with a note of disgust.

    Violetshadow forced herself not to bristle. "Of course I am." She stood up. "You and Sparrowfeather can go hunting. Take his apprentice too. Does that sound good?"

    "Of course, we'll be on our way." There was a hint of a sneer in Griffinwing's voice, but Violetshadow very graciously gave her the benefit of the doubt and didn't call her out on it. She sighed as she watched the pair walk toward the apprentice den to collect Raccoonpaw and head out. If I want loyal followers when I become leader I need to show the Clan that I can be a reliable deputy.

    Violetshadow went to stand closer to the Echostone, where she had seen Darkmoon send out countless patrols in her life. She was about to call another patrol together when she saw Honeyflower coaxing Leopardpaw out of the apprentice den; or at least she was trying to. The big lazy tom never wanted to train unless it was fighting, but Honeyflower was patient and willing to work with him. Violetshadow knew that Viperfang would love someone so lustful for fighting, but Violetshadow would hardly have the patience to deal with someone so insufferable. In her opinion, he was just a mini Tarantulaclaw.

    "Honeyflower, are you taking Leopardpaw out to train?" Violetshadow asked, approaching the cream colored she-cat.

    "If I can get him to leave his nest first," Honeyflower said, almost warily. "Why?"

    "Well, seeing as I'm deputy it makes sense for me to know what's going on in camp. I'd suggest a border patrol. If you see any enemy cats I'm sure that Leopardpaw would have no trouble chasing them away."

    "We're not looking for a fight—" Honeyflower started.

    Violetshadow held her tail up, silencing her, and looked over at Leopardpaw, who was suddenly interested in what the two were talking about.

    When she looked back at Honeyflower she saw that the she-cat's eyes had gone wide. Oh, I see what you're doing, her eyes seemed to say.

    "Which border would you like us to patrol?"

    "The river is fine, just make sure he doesn't fall in. And take another cat or two with you."

    "Sure thing. You ready Leopardpaw?" Honeyflower said

    "More than ready to kick some BrookClan butt," Leopardpaw said, puffing out his chest.

    "Right, well, let's go get Scarletpetal and her apprentice," Honeyflower said, flicking her tail in the direction of the reddish she-cat and Lynxpaw sharing a meal.

    Violetshadow nodding approvingly as she watched the group leave camp, heading toward the BrookClan border. See Viperfang? I'm a perfectly capable deputy, and I'm going to be a more than capable leader.

    And that's when she saw Forestpaw go into the leader's den.