Chapter 33

Everything seemed to stop.

Vixen tore herself away from the cat she'd been tackling just a moment ago and looked over to the big fallen log in the center of the clearing where there'd just been a great flash of light. Did Forestpaw manage to get the Star Pearl back? Had she smashed it as intended? Vixen shuffled through the throng of stunned cats and found herself at Foxflame's side. His ginger tail brushed against her flank as they shared a quizzical look. Together, they fast-walked over to the spot where they light had come from.

Tarantulaclaw had beaten them there and he was crouched over a dark clump of fur. Violetshadow, Vixen realized. Next to the comatose she-cat was the shattered remains of the Star Pearl. Vixen blinked in surprise. Had Violetshadow, of all cats, destroyed the Star Pearl?

Forestpaw and Burrowpelt were suddenly there as well, and Forestpaw let out an audible gasp as she took in the scene, while Violetshadow's mother looked at her daughter solemnly like her brain hadn't decided on an emotional response yet.

Tarantulaclaw looked up at them with glassy eyes. "We need to get her to a medicine cat."

"I think we need to get a lot of cats to a medicine cat," Burrowpelt replied grimly, but she helped Tarantulaclaw hoist the she-cat onto his shoulders, and steadied them both as they walked out of the clearing.

***

"Vixen!"

Vixen froze as she heard her father's voice call after her. She had forgotten all about her parents, as she'd been on her way back to the Exiles camp with Foxflame, Forestpaw and Servalpaw. She turned now to see Jaguar and her mother Winona stalking toward them. Foxflame bristled at her side, like he was about to jump to defend her, but she touched his shoulder lightly with her tail. I've got this, her eyes said, and he just nodded.

"Father," she inclined her head to the large golden tom. Her mouth quirked up in that awkwardly charming way as she turned Winona. "Mother. Fancy seeing you here."

"You weren't fighting for our side," her father said, not bothering with any lead-up.

Vixen paused, still grinning slightly. "Yeah."

Her mother fumed. "And you're so proud of yourself, aren't you?" She took an intimidating step toward her daughter, but Vixen didn't flinch. "After everything we've done for you, and here you are fraternizing with some cultish forest cats!"

"Ouch," Foxflame said, good-humoredly. "We're not all bad."

Jaguar spoke again. "I'm not happy about this, Vixen. But you are your own cat, capable of making your own decisions." He paused before adding a little more quietly. "But we will always be your family."

Vixen blinked, surprised. The humor left her face, replaced with sincerity. "I know. Thank you."

And with those words, they parted ways.