Chapter 31

Forestpaw felt her heart racing out of her chest as she and her companions jumped back into the Star Hollow. The full moon was still bright in the sky, but dipping steadily past the trees. "Come on!" she said. "We have to get to the Gathering Hollow!"

Blood pounded in her ears as she set off out of the Star Hollow. Burrowpelt, Foxflame, Vixen, Servalpaw and Tarantulaclaw keeping pace with her as she leapt across the stream and thundered past the shimmering tree trunks. They didn't pause as they broke past the line of trees and barreled into the open field of tall grass. Forestpaw could barely see above the stalks, but the tall, dark figures of the oak trees were clear enough to make out and head toward.

Forestpaw had a small flashback of when, not too long ago, her and Amberclaw had made the same trip from the Startree to the Gathering Hollow. Was that the last full moon? No, it would've been the one before. It felt like so long ago already. She'd been reunited with her family, exiled from her Clan, and rescued cats from the rogues. She was ready for this to be all over.

She realized they were within earshot when she heard the caterwauls of fighting.

Tarantulaclaw heard them too and put on a burst of speed, pulling ahead of all of them. Burrowpelt raced to catch up, while Servalpaw lagged slightly to keep pace Forestpaw. He was probably half her age, but his legs were much longer than hers already. Forestpaw gave him a small appreciative nod, and he ducked his head slightly.

He may be Violetshadow's apprentice, Forestpaw thought, but he doesn't seem like a bad cat. She looked forward to getting to know him when this was all over. If they made it out alive.

The sounds of battle grew closer as they neared the circle of trees. And as the grass started to thin out Forestpaw could make out the shapes of sparring cats, claws flashing in the moonlight and blood spraying across the ground. Over a StarClan sacred place. She shivered at the thought.

Tarantulaclaw and Burrowpelt had already leaped into the fray, closely followed by Vixen and Foxflame, shoving their way toward the Fallenoak, by the time Forestpaw and Servalpaw made it to the edge of the clearing. Servalpaw gave her a small, hesitant nudge. "We need to get you up there. And then, you can break the Star Pearl, and put an end to this."

Forestpaw dropped the troublesome object on the ground beneath her feet and gave it a long look. Then she raised her gaze back to Servalpaw and nodded. "I'm ready."

When they both turned back to the Hollow, most of the cats had gone still, their energy seeming to cease, though they still looked tense. When Forestpaw followed their gazes, she saw that they were all staring at Burrowpelt and Tarantulaclaw, who had successfully made it to the top of Fallenoak.

"Come on," Servalpaw said with more urgency. "While they have everyone's attention."

Forestpaw nodded again, and they made their way into the frozen crowd. She held the Star Pearl between her teeth carefully, and Servalpaw led her her through the cats, his long tail a reassuring brush on her nose as she followed him.

The gazes of the cats suddenly shifted to them as Forestpaw and Servalpaw reached the Fallenoak and Forestpaw scrambled up onto the log. She sat between Burrowpelt and Tarantulaclaw and placed the Star Pearl at her feet, setting it in a groove in the bark. She looked up to find all of those hungry eyes on her. Violetshadow's rogues were still tensed and ready for another round while FernClan looked relieved for the reprieve. Forestpaw straightened and took a breath, hardening her gaze and forcing all the power she could into her voice as she said, "This ends..." She raised a paw above the Star Pearl, ready to smash it. "No—"

"I'm afraid I'll be taking that," a voice whispered in Forestpaw's ear, and the gray she-cat startled forward, sending the Star Pearl spiraling into the now reignited battle.