1.2

as the two friends pulled up to the set restaurant luke had picked, sam was nervous to go inside. "i don't think i can do this." she whispered to her friend, who gave her a small smile.

"you can, i know you can. just hear him out. if you want to go home and just scream and cry after, we will, but you need to at least just hear him." addie said softly, resting her hand atop the timid girl's. "call me when you want to leave, okay?"

sam sucked in a deep breath, nodding slightly before opening the door and stepping out of the car. she flattened her dress, tugging down the bottom a little before she headed into the doors.

when she walked in, her eyes scanned around the restaurant until she found familiar blue ones staring back. the only reason she knew those eyes was because it was luke hemmings, who had lied about who he was the entire time.

luke saw her when she walked in, having been staring at the doors for the past ten minutes as he waited. when she finally walked in, he watched as she scanned around until her eyes landed on him. he could see the hurt flash on her face at the sight of him even from a good feet away. he knew he hurted her, and he hated himself for it.

she made her way over, her head slightly down to avoid any passing glances. she was in a dress from target while everyone around most likely had thousand dollar clothes on. she was definitely out of place.

when she reached the table, luke started to stand so he could get her chair but she sent him a pointed look so he sat right back down. after she sat, she scooted her chair slightly closer to the table, resting her hands in her lap.

"you look beautiful." he whispered, her head snapping up to look at him. she sent him a small tight lipped smile as a thank you before the waiter came over.

"what drinks can i get started for you?" he asked softly, luke glancing at sam to see what she wanted first. she noticed, clearing her throat softly before gently speaking. 

"a water, please."

"i'll have a water as well." luke told the man before he walked off to go grab their drinks for them. "firstly, thank you for agreeing to come to dinner."

"you kinda gave me no choice when you wouldn't leave me alone." she whispered, luke's eyes dropping down to the table. sure, he felt bad that he had almost forced her into having dinner with him but he really needed to explain himself. maybe, just maybe, she'll understand after.

"i'm sorry." he suddenly spoke, his voice quiet like a child's would be when they were in trouble. "its just," he started, taking a deep breath as sam turned her attention fully to him. "you wouldn't believe the people we come in contact with. they use us for fame, fortune, clout, you name it."

sam only nodded, wanting to let him say whatever he needed to say before she said a word. just then, the waiter returned, setting the two waters in front of them before taking a glance at both of them, deciding to give them some more time.

"i should've told you, still. it was just really nice not to be looked at like luke hemmings, and just as luke. then, you started talking about me, and i panicked. i thought if i told you who i was, you'd freak out and leave, or just like me because i'm luke hemmings. i wanted you to like me for me."

while sam did understand a little what he meant, she still didn't like that he lied right to her face. "it was wrong to lie, even i can admit that. and, i completely understand why you reacted the way you did, i'm sure it wasn't easy for you to realize that the guy you had been talking to wasn't actually who he said he was—"