4.0

despite her broken heart, she got out of bed. today was the day she was picking addie up from the airport. she was excited, desperately needing her best friends comfort, especially now.

she tossed on a pair of sweats and a random hoodie, not realizing it was luke's until she was already in her car. the realization made her eyes fill with tears, blinking them away before smashing her hand against her radio, it turning on to fill the empty car.

"and now, here is niall horan's new single with the lovely julia michaels, what a time."

the melody filled the car, sam growing more and more sad at the lyrics. "you cling to my body like you wanted it forever. what a time, what a time, what a time. for you and i, what a time, what a time. for you and i." she sniffled, glancing down at the radio with teary eyes.

"i know we didn't end it like we were supposed to." niall's voice filled her car, her heart sinking. "and now we get a bit tense, i wonder if my mind just leaves out all the bad parts. i know we didn't make sense." she smashed random buttons, sighing in relief when it changed to a different station.

"i wouldve walked through hell, to find another way. i wouldve laid me down, if i knew that you would stay. i wouldve crossed the stars, to keep you in my life." she glared at the radio, deciding to finally just shut it off.

"stupid fucking radio."

when sam got to the airport, she immediately spotted addie, and after the fifteen minute hug, they were forced to go. "michael sends his love." addie said softly as the two climbed into the car. "and luke says he'll call you later."

sam froze at the mention of his name, eyes wide as she paled. did they not know? "what?" she croaked out, addie sending her a puzzled look.

"uh, i said luke says he'll call you later? why do you look like a ghost?" addie raised an eyebrow, sam's heart smashing in her chest. "i figured that would make you happy, you were just saying you wished he would call more."

sam blinked away the watery eyes, forcing a small smile as she made the drive back to the house, ignoring all the glances addie sent her. after a few minutes in silence, addie went to reach for the radio, sam panicking and smacked her hand away. "hey! what was that for?"

sam chewed at her lip, deciding to pull off of the road, addie going to object but silenced once she saw the tears threatening to fall in sam's eyes. her gaze softened, worry and remorse in her eyes while she watched sam struggle to say something.

after calming herself down, she looked over at addie. "luke and i broke up a month ago." she choked, a few tears dropping when she blinked. she didn't realize how badly it would hurt to admit that out loud. addie didn't waste time to throw her arms around her depressed friend.

sam shook her head, pulling out of the embrace and sent addie a weak smile. "i can't. i have to stop doing this, it's been a month." sam weakly responded, addie frowning as she sat back against her seat. "i just can't believe he didn't tell any of you."

"to be fair, you didn't either." she pointed out, sam's frown deepening as she picked at her jeans. "i'm sorry you had to do this alone."

sam shrugged, forcing a smile onto her face before getting back onto the road. "it's fine, i'm fine."

"sam—"

"i'm fine." she repeated, sending addie a look to drop it, the car filling with a tense silence.

the car ride was silent until sam pulled up to addie's moms house. addie waved, promising to come over later before getting out and going inside to see her family.

sam drove home alone, the pain now a dull ache in her heart. she was grieving, grieving a relationship that was never healthy to begin with. she was grieving someone she barely had.

the truth was she loved luke, but he wasn't hers for long. their time had been wrong every time, and something always got in their way. it was full of drama, always painful, and always left one or both of them damaged.

as she pulled into the driveway, a message popped up on her phone from an unknown number. her eyebrows furrowed, clicking on it to see a message from someone she barely remembered.

UNKNOWN 2:53pm | hey, i don't know if you remember me, but it's adam. i was wondering if you'd like to grab a drink.

she sighed, realizing he couldn't know she was in denver.

SAM 2:58pm | hey, i moved back home to denver, so i don't think i'll be able to.

within seconds, another beep came from her phone, her eyes widened a little in surprise at just how fast he texted back.

ADAM 2:59pm | how bout a virtual drink then?

she sighed, not in the mood but decided a distraction might not be the worst idea. she agreed, asking for an hour, immediately leaving her driveway to go grab a bottle to use tonight as a distraction, a memory to go away; a memory of luke.