2.9

it was quiet. the entire bus was silent, and that was all because of luke. after he said those three words, michael and calum began fighting. which lead sam to come out. when they got them apart, she found out what had started the whole fight.

her eyes met luke's, her's full of complete anger. she now knew he was eavesdropping on her and michael's conversation last night. however, michael thought she told him so now michael iced her out over luke being nosey. which made her even more angry at the self absorbed blonde singer, who she was already not happy with.

she didn't say a word to him, which left him feeling empty inside. sierra had went home after the whole incident, and because she couldn't stay on the bus after they were leaving the little town of iowa.

luke laid awake in his bunk, staring up at the bunk above him. he couldn't sleep, he was wracked with guilt and couldn't get his mind to calm down. a chime on his phone caused him to look over at it, his heart skipping when he saw it was a text from sam.

sam: meet me in the living room?

luke: on my way

he hopped down from his bunk, nerves bubbling in his stomach. when he got into the living room, he noticed her writing in her little journal that she kept all her little thoughts in. when she noticed him come in, her slight smile dropped and she closed her journal.

she motioned for him to come sit in the seat beside her, luke's heart racing inside his chest. he was no genius, but he knew something was off. "what's up?" he cautiously asked, slowly sitting onto the couch next to her.

she fiddled with her fingers — a nervous habit, which made luke more and more worried. "i won't even ask why you eavesdropped, it's not important but it wasn't right, luke." he looked away, almost ashamed of what he did.

she took in a shaky breath as her eyes shut. it was taking everything in her to actually go through with this talk, knowing everything would change after this. she needed to do this though, and she had to ignore the large part of her who wanted to just throw the talk out and just leap into his arms.

"i tried, luke, i did. i gave you another chance, yet you do it again? you didn't acknowledge i existed when yet again, another ex came back to you." she mumbled, angry at herself for sounding bitter about it. luke stayed quiet, his heart snapping inside his chest as he guessed what was happening.

she sighed, shaking her head as she rubbed her hands over her face frustrated. "you hurt michael just because he was trying to keep you from ruining this — ruining us. yet, you gave no fucks and just hurt him. i can't do this shit anymore, luke. i'm grown, i don't have time for games."

luke scoffed. "games? the only one playing games here, is you." sam's eyebrows furrowed in confusion which lead luke to continue. "i almost kissed you, and the same night you slept on the fucking couch? i think that's a pretty clear sign that you wanted distance."

sam stared at him, her eyes watching his face carefully. her heart sank when she realized he looked hurt, she didn't mean to hurt his feelings, and she hated that she did. "i didn't mean to. i just fell asleep on the couch—"

"why did you go to the couch anyway? why meet michael that late?" her eyes narrowed. she could hear the accusation already in his voice, groaning when she realized this would be the same fight when they argued about ashton.

"seriously, luke? this again, i swear, i'm not allowed to have any friends without you accusing me of making a move on them. what's next? i sleep in bed with addie so now i want to fuck her too?" she snapped, luke glaring over at her.

"that's not fair—"

"why did you kiss all over sierra's face?"

"because we're still friends, and her dad died!" luke defended himself, crossing his arms over his chest.

"yet, me and michael are friends and he was sad about something personal — that you found out from spying on me might i add — and the most i did was listen and maybe hug him. not once did i act like he was my boyfriend like you did with sierra and arzaylea."

luke gaped at her, angry that she had the nerve to bring up arzaylea. "woah, we weren't even talking about her. why drag that into this conversation?"

sam's eyes rolled. "you missed the whole point, luke. i'm not mad that you guys hung out, i'm mad because you ignored me again for another ex. arzaylea was just an example." she clenched her jaw to keep her already almost boiling anger from growing. she was fed up with the rude blonde, starting to dislike who he's turned into.

"i wasn't ignoring you, so don't blame me for your insecurities." when luke felt backed into a corner, he became snappy and cruel. he would always defend himself — even though it made him look like an asshole.

"wow, okay." sam breathed out, rising to her feet. "guess that's settled, this talk is over."

"guess so." luke bitterly replied. on the outside he seemed like he was an asshole, but that's only because he was dying on the inside. he knew from how this talk was going, she had her mind set to end whatever they were before they started. why fight for something that's already been predetermined before he even had a chance to explain himself?

she started to walk away, pausing as she got to the edge of the room and looked back at him. "i only have one question that i can't find an answer for, why lead me on? i mean, i was gone luke and you begged me to come back only to be inconsistent again."

luke knew he was going to hurt her, and he hated that. he knew she needed to walk away because of how much he had already hurt her, and he also knew she would forgive him instantly when she shouldn't. so he made it easy.

"i don't know. just missed my friend, i guess." he lied, shrugging his shoulders. at the word friend he could visibly see her face fall and tears form in her eyes. he hated the sight so he looked away.

"you selfish little—" she stopped herself, taking a deep breath before she nodded her head. "thank you for clarifying, luke. i need time, so please stay out of my way if its not business related and ill do the same."

she didn't wait for a reply, rushing back to the bedroom where addie laid fast asleep on one side. sam curled into a ball, hugging her knees to her chest as she let out quiet little sobs while the tears fell freely. addie, a light sleeper, woke up and immediately yanked the girl to her chest as she quietly hummed in her ear. "what happened?" she asked after a moment, alarmed that she woke up to her best friend absolutely wrecked.

sam didn't speak, choosing instead to try to calm herself down before she curled up under the covers and rested her head on the pillow. addie laid back down hesitantly, keeping a tight hold on her best friend as she laid there while rubbing her back.

it felt like a break up even though the two were never together. for the last couple of weeks, the two had been attached at the hip, always cuddling and sleeping together, spending every moment outside of band stuff together. for him to act like they were never anything was painful, and it wrecked the poor girl.

she sniffled quietly, holding every sad little tear inside so addie would go back to sleep. and once sam thought she was fast asleep, she sighed, staring over at the wall and felt the sadness creep up slowly. it lingered, feeling her with a sense of dread.

she let out a deep breath, parting her lips before she whispered into the quiet bedroom, the words haunting her after she spoke them.

"luke and i are done."