2.8

sam laid awake, staring up at the ceiling. luke was asleep next to her, fast asleep, which was good for sam so she could think about what the hell had happened just earlier. despite the two growing awfully close these past couple of days, there was still a lot of unresolved things they hadn't figured out.

for starters, what were they? that question had ran through her head a million times, constantly wondering what the two were. she sighed softly, slowly wiggling out of luke's arms. once she knew he wasn't waking, she moved over to the edge and climbed out of the bunk. she made her way to the living room area, sitting on the couch with her knees pulled up to her chest.

she wasn't sure what to do or say, obviously they would have to finish their talk later on, but she was glad they could put it in the past for now. when she heard shuffling, the nervous feeling in her stomach grew.

a figure popped up in her vision, causing her to jump when she finally noticed it was michael. "jesus, dude. its two am, dont sneak up on me." sam mumbled, the boy chuckling quietly as he took a seat next to her. "why are you even awake right now?"

he shrugged, resting his hands on his lap. "i couldn't sleep. got too much on my mind." he said honestly, giving her a small smile which told her he probably wanted to talk about it. she gave him a soft smile, tilting her head as she looked at him.

"talk to me, mikey."

he took a deep breath, looking down at his hands as he avoided eye contact. "you know how addie and calum have this little thing going on?" sam nodded. "i think i may like her? i know thats fucked, but, can't help it. the heart wants what it wants."

she sighed, her head now dropping in slight sadness. their scenarios may be different, but they were similar. "i mean, i kinda get it. i really don't want to be into luke."

michael raised his eyebrow at this, looking over at the girl from the corner of his eye. "don't get me wrong, luke's a great guy, but," she took a deep breath. "there's already a lot of hurt there, and then there's the fact that he does things to hint that he wants more only to pull back every time when things get too deep."

michael sighed, almost annoyed with his best friend. luke could have the girl he wanted, and he was choosing to mess it all up. meanwhile, michael had to put his own feelings aside because his best friend was making a go for the girl he liked. "luke is stupid, he can have the one he wants but hes throwing it all away." he mumbled, sam shooting michael a sad smile.

"just don't give up on him. luke may be an idiot, but he's a great guy with a great heart. he needs to get his shit together though and stop sending mixed signals to you. i mean, you guys sleep together every night and he still hasn't made a move?"

her cheeks flushed at this which caused michael's head to snap in her direction with wide eyes and a gaped mouth. "no way! spill now!"

she giggled, the way michael was acting was reminding her of a talk she would have with one of her girlfriends. "he almost kissed me, but calum interrupted that so. that was like a few days ago and he hasn't made another move since." she shrugged, a shy smile on her lips. michael squealed in excitement, quickly telling her if she ever told anyone he just did that he would murder her in her sleep.

"that's so... stupid." he sighed, shaking his head at his dumb best friend. "he needs to grow some balls and just do something for fucks sake."

"i just wish he'd do something." she sighed, running her hands down her face in frustration. "i need to know if we're just friends or what, cause if we are just friends, i need to get over my feelings." okay, that was a lie. she even knew she probably would never get over the pretty blonde boy with the ocean blue eyes who made her feel like she was floating.

luke may have lied about what he looked like, but sam knew he was genuine. he was her dream guy, and okay fine, he acted like an ass a few times, but deep down she knew luke was the best person she's ever met.

"honey, you can't get over luke if you tried." michael teased, shaking his head at the pout that formed on her lips. "its not because he's luke hemmings, its because you look at him like he hung the moon for you. you don't just get over someone who you cherish that much." he patted her shoulder in a comforting manner before standing up on his feet. "get to bed soon, okay?"

she nodded, whispering a goodnight before he disappeared around the corner to get to bed. she didn't know what to think about what michael said. did she really look at him like that? and did he really not notice?

she sighed, laying back on her back before staring up at the ceiling once more.

without meaning to, she ended up falling asleep on the couch. so when she woke up the next morning, she was obviously confused until last nights events clouded her memory. her heart broke for michael, hating that he was in misery over her best friend who she could tell was not into calum.

sam often caught addie staring at michael, even while being cuddled up to calum. sure it was wrong, but same also knew addie like the back of her hand and addie would hurt herself before she hurt someone she cared about. it was one of her red flags.

but, sam was the same way. that's why when sierra showed up that same day and luke comforted the crying girl, she knew she had to take a step back. the way he held onto her felt so personal, almost as if she wasn't supposed to see it.

she locked herself in her room, the images of him holding onto her and pressing a kiss to her forehead flashed through her mind. the boys decided to give sam some space, which she hated and loved all at the same time.

luke noticed sam hiding in the back bed but said nothing. he had to keep sierra calm, so he stayed on the couch with her, running his hands through her jet black hair as she stained his shirt with her tears. luke knew her dad was sick, but he never knew he was sick enough to die.

he swallowed the sinking feeling in his chest when sam left the room and completely ignored his presence. he knew she saw it as a repeat of arzaylea, but it really wasn't like that at all. all he was doing was consoling someone he thought of as a dear friend.

michael's not so subtle glares were something he was choosing to ignore. he stood from the couch, grabbing sierra's hand as he began to lead her back to his bunk. michael quickly made his way over to luke, grabbing his arm. when their eyes met, luke knew he had something to say that sierra wasn't a part of.

he mumbled for her to go get in his bunk and wait for him, and once she was gone luke was glaring at michael. "what do you want?"

"if you go to your bunk with sierra, your chances with sam are over." he warned, a fury growing inside luke. "i'm telling you cause i love you dude, and i think you love sam but if you do this, you will lose her indefinitely."

luke yanked his arm from michael's grip. "i don't love her, and last i checked you are not her or my protector. what sierra and i do or dont do is none of your concern. mind your business." he snapped, michael's eyes narrowing at him.

"fine, you wanna be stupid? go ahead. be a fucking moron and fuck up the one chance you have left with samantha. but when you do, i promise i will never vouch for you with her again, luke." he warned once more, scoffing quietly after a moment of silence between them. "you're different, dude, and not in a good way either. i just hope sam realizes she's too good for your childish shit." michael spat at him.

luke couldn't hold anything back anymore, stomping over to the living room where addie and calum were snuggled up. "cal?" he said, anger practically boiling over.

"yeah, luke?" he asked with a sigh, over all the drama that involved luke. lately all the blonde was is a heart wrecking drama king. calum was over it.

luke glanced back at michael, who raised an eyebrow at him. he took a deep breath, his eyes drifting back to calum before three words left his mouth that he knew he'd never recover from.

"michael likes addie."