5. You and I got matching scars

CW: Mentions of veterinary care and animal recovery, but nothing bad except one mention of events from the previous chapter.  Some anxieties and nerves from a few characters but again, nothing major.

Oli's POV

I must have fallen asleep really early last night as I open my eyes and realise I'm still on the sofa. Mat has thrown a blanket over me and I suddenly panic, checking my phone. Thankfully, it's only seven-thirty so I've got some time to shower before heading off to the shelter again this morning. I set up the coffee machine and feed Luna quickly before heading off to shower and get changed.

By the time I've finished in the shower, I have another message from Josh. I sort of feel bad that I didn't message him again after I spoke to Mat about everything, but he did say he was at work in the evening and nothing in his message this morning tells me he's mad at me or anything. In fact, it's completely the opposite.

Josh, 26:

Good morning, gorgeous 😉 hope you had a good evening? Sorry I didn't message again, work was weirdly busy for a Monday! What do you have planned today? x

I have no idea why he's apologising for not messaging since I was the one who inadvertently left him on read! My eyes gloss back over his words. He called me gorgeous?! Has he even seen a mirror before?! I get that weird, and now familiar feeling in my chest and a grin spreads across my face as I reply before I finish getting ready.

Oli, 29:

Good morning to you, too! 😊 Sorry I didn't reply myself! Talked stuff out with my housemate and just chilled with him for the rest of the day. Must have taken it out of me because I woke up on the sofa this morning! I'm popping into the shelter this morning for a bit but got proper work later on, but hopefully won't be too full on. What about you? x

I glance at the time and grimace. Seems I got a bit lost in my own thoughts, so I quickly pour and gulp down a coffee before pocketing a granola bar. I whistle to Luna who is at my side in seconds, I harness her up and clip on her leash before we begin the walk to the shelter. We make it just before nine am and Luna takes up her usual position as soon as I release her harness.

Jordan seems in a lighter mood today and if he notices I'm running later than usual, he doesn't mention it. I signal to him that I'm going to the vet room and he waves me off without another word. Roxy's cage has been cleaned out, her blankets have been replaced with clean ones and new toys lay inside, but it remains empty.

Denver looks at me with sad eyes. He clearly misses Roxy - her cage was right next to his and they'd often play together when I took them for walks together. I unlatch his cage and give him some one on one time before I go and check on Margie. She seems to be doing a little better today too. She's happy to see me and I can't help but feel positive about her future for the first time. Finally, I climb up from the floor and pay attention to the tiny whines coming from the incubator. Max comes bouncing out as soon as he is able and pees on the counter in his excitement. I laugh at him as I clean it up quickly and wash my hands. He tries to bounce into the sink as I'm running the water and I suddenly have an idea. I pop Max back into the incubator for a few minutes, despite his protests, but I don't think he's going to need it much longer.

"Hey Jordan?" I call as I peek my head around the main door. He flicks his head up to grin at me and I beckon him into the vet room, returning his grin.

"What's up, Oli?" Jordan asks cheerily as he joins me in the vet room.

"I think Max is ready for home rehabbing," I reply confidently, heading back towards the incubator where Max is batting his tiny paws against the perspex window. I lift the lid and he bounds out immediately, crashing into my arm with his little tail going wild.