12. Your heart was just a mess

CW: Fuck, I'm so sorry! Lots of pain, angst, heartbreak. Mentions of alcoholism and recovery, anxiety, intrusive thoughts

Oli's POV:

I watch Josh until he disappears around the corner, waving back to him before giving a gentle tug on Luna's lead and heading back towards home. I'm sad that I won't see him for a while now, but at least it gives me time to think about what our next plans will be. Of course, I'm ridiculously proud of him for getting this gig this weekend too.

My mind flashes back to what Hattie said to me when I was paying for her food. She told me that Josh only picked the pancakes because he hadn't even looked at the menu - he couldn't take his eyes off me. I knew, of course. He pretended he wasn't every time I caught his eye, but Hattie confirmed it. Ugh he's so cute!

I check my phone as I walk in the door and I have a text from Josh already.

Josh 🥰:

Thanks for breakfast. Miss you already x

My heart skips in my chest and my cheeks begin to ache. I sigh deeply. Maybe these next few days are going to be harder to get through than I first thought... It fills my heart to know he feels the same but I hate the lingering thought at the back of my head telling me that it shouldn't be this easy; that it's got to be too good to be true.

Nevertheless, I reply to his text telling him I miss him too and continue with the rest of my day. Like we promised, we text constantly over the next couple of days and make some vague plans to organise something for the following Wednesday so I've got something to look forward to.

On Saturday, I arrive bright and early at A Kean Ear for work and as usual, it's pretty busy for the first couple of hours. It starts to get quiet just before lunch so Vegan and I fill the gap with idle chat about life stuff in general. I fill him in about my dates with Josh this week and he's really happy for me, assuring me that happiness can and should be easy and to just run with it. He's finally taking Tillie out for their date this weekend too, so our conversation turns to that.

"One of the perks of owning a record store," Vegan winks at me and reaches into a drawer behind the counter, pulling out what looks like concert tickets. "Got sent a few of these by one of the local label bosses. They're scouting for new talent this weekend at the City Academy and have invited some local bands to play for-"

"Wait, did you say City Academy?" I interrupt him suddenly, remembering something Josh said the other day. "Tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah... how did you-?"

"Oh my god!" I let out a laugh and squeal a little as everything slots together. "Josh's band are playing!"

Vegan's face splits as he cottons on to what I'm saying and he joins me in giggling.

"Well, I have another ticket if you want to tag along too?"

"You're taking Tillie though, yeah?" I tilt my head, furrowing my brows at him. "I don't wanna be a third wheel on your date!"

"Oli, it's fine," he chuckles. "It's just casual, it's our first date. You've met her, she's so laid back, she won't mind at all!"

I raise an eyebrow at him and fold my arms across my chest, considering his offer. I suppose it would be nice to surprise Josh and I do want to see him really badly.

"Okay then," I finally give in. "But the moment you and Tillie get touchy, I'm leaving you to it!"

"Oh fuck off, Oli!" Vegan blushes and gives me a playful shove on the arm.