Ch. 10

Colby POV

The motorcycle sputtered to a stop. I shivered at the change of temperature between gliding through the mist of the city and becoming still.

Her arms were still wrapped around me as my feet settled onto the ground. I shivered again from the cold touch of her fingers.

And that's when I knew.

I knew exactly what I had been avoiding for weeks now. It all clicked and fell into place as I sighed now, sitting in front of a diner.

I liked her.

I liked her the moment I met her, of course, because she had these captivating caramel eyes. Because she had such a big attitude and fire about her that screamed she wouldn't put up with anyone's shit.

I knew when I sat beside her in class and watched her pout and sulk when I spoke to her because she was hiding the amusement she felt beneath it.

Then, I could deny how I felt with the sheer excuse of amusement. But now? As I found her sobbing in the parking lot curled up into a hopeless little hall, weeping out everything she held in for so long and finally just letting go - there was simply no denying.

I felt an outrageous need to protect her, to hold her close and keep her safe. I wanted to reach out and grab her and comfort her in a tight embrace.

But I couldn't. I didn't know why she was crying - I was certain it was Kyle, but then again I didn't really know why.

"I'll hold the bike up while you get down" I told her over my shoulder. She just nodded and slowly let go of my waist. I pressed my lips together as I tried to not focus on the way I felt without her hands on me.

I got off the bike as well and grinned as she tried to lift the helmet off her head.

"Need help?" I chuckled.

"It's stuck..." she mumbled in a soft and small voice. For once she hadn't snapped at me and for some reason it made my heart hurt and flutter at the same time.

I couldn't help but laugh as I went over and pulled the helmet off her head. I stared down at her and she seemed so fragile to me. I bit the side of my cheek to keep from reaching out to move her hair from her face. I opted for a grin instead.

Her cheeks were red, and I wanted to believe it was because I made her nervous but I was sure it was because of the cold wind and pressure of the helmet. A guy could dream.

I cleared my throat and turned around. "I'm starving, let's go."

"Wait, fuck, I don't have my wallet" she spoke quietly and just stood there by my bike. I turned to face her and she looked sheepish. I internally cursed at myself for finding that so damn adorable.

I grinned and shook my head, waving her to follow me into the diner anyways. I found my usual booth and scooted into the bench and sliding a menu over to Roni.

He was pouting, her brows knit together tight and her lip pushed out slightly as she slid in across from me.

"What?"

"I said I don't have my wallet. And I'm not very hungry." She rolled her eyes and looked around the place. Her cheeks were still pink and puffy, this I assumed was from crying since her eyes held a similar state.

"When was the last time you ate?" I nodded at a waitress who recognized me and waved, giving her a light smile in return as she made her way over.

"Colby-"

"If you don't pick something, I'll order for you."

She glared at me with absolute venom and it made me giddy. She was so feisty, even after crying.