Wattpad Original
There are 54 more free parts

Yearning

noun ~ a feeling of intense longing for something

POLLUX

"So, what made you work in a coffee shop?" I wondered, catching Clover's attention.

"It's my coffee shop," Clover admitted. "I opened it myself."

"That explains the lack of money," I laughed. "When did you do that?"

"About a year ago now. I finished school and wanted to do something, but I didn't want to leave because..."

"You were scared." I finished, shrugging.

"Yeah," They breathed. "Anyway, the store became available not long after I inherited some money from my late grandfather. I took it as a sign, whether from my grandfather himself or from fate, if you believe in that kind of stuff."

"Fate is real," I shrugged. "Everything happens for a reason."

"I never believed that until this happened. I felt so lost and then... peace." They sighed, staring up at a large tree. "Where are you taking me?"

"It's not so far," I pointed north. "A little further. Still got those clunky boots on?"

"How's the wet socks doing?" They quipped.

"Damp," I grinned, and Clover laughed. "What made you choose coffee?"

"I enjoy meeting people," Clover shrugged. "You can meet many people in a coffee and tea room. Everyone loves to talk over a hot drink and pastry."

"That is a good sales pitch," I teased. "Do you ever think you will branch out?"

"I'm in a three-year lease on the building," they shrugged. "So not anytime soon. I quite like Arleybay."

"What about your family? Do they support you?"

That strange thing inside of me came to life again when Clover's shoulders sagged. Clover's mood had shifted so strongly. I couldn't help but notice the reservation.

"My family doesn't live here anymore," they admitted. "They moved away when I was fifteen and I am the only one here. I lived with my grandfather until he passed."

"Oh, I'm sorry." I apologised. "What was he like?"

"A good man, for his age." Clover laughed softly. "He always supported me when my family didn't."

"Why didn't they?"

"You ask a lot of questions, Pollux." Clover stated, eyeing me.

I grinned innocently. "I need to gather my facts."

"What for?"

"Secret."

"Oh god, you are going to murder me aren't you?" Clover grunted. "I knew it. The moment an attractive guy shows interested in me, they were a murderer."

"Attractive guy, huh?" I teased, and Clover scoffed. "I am not a murderer. I have never killed a person."

"That is an odd admittance, but makes me feel a little better." Clover grinned. "But to answer your question, my parents did not agree with my choices."

"Choices?"

"I identify as neither gender," Clover admitted after some hesitance. "They couldn't accept the changes I wanted to make or the lifestyle I wanted."

Frowning, I came to a stop to observe them. "So they tell you not to go on adventures, and then tell you not to be yourself? Sounds like a shitty parent."

"They're not bad people," Clover grimaced. "They just struggle to understand."

"Even so, you are their child." I pointed out.