Wattpad Original
There are 19 more free parts

Interfere

verb ~ take part or intervene in an activity without invitation or necessity

CHARLIE

Phoenix and I strode up the steps to his house, and he unlocked it without hesitation. He held the door for a moment, allowing me to follow behind him after pulling on some shorts. I shut it carefully, my eyes scanning the room as I sniffed to find Nova. To my surprise, she was in the kitchen, and upon spotting us, two naked men in her house, she froze.

Big green eyes stared up at her mate with shock, before flickering over to me with confusion. I would've found it funny if it wasn't for the boiling temper I was struggling to keep at bay. We were both agitated, but I noticed the way Phoenix relaxed the moment the door shut behind us.

"Uh... Nude party?" Nova wondered.

My eyes dropped to the infant in her arm, Belle's wide eyes staring back at me. My fists tightened at my sides, unable to think about how innocent she appeared. If someone was threatening the pack, they threatened everyone in it. That included Nova, a woman I called my sister, and therefore my niece and nephew along with it. Even the thought of someone harming those babies had my body shivering and a growl rumbling in my throat.

"Was it something I said?" Nova squeaked.

Phoenix sighed. "No, my love. We need the office."

"I thought you held meetings in the pack house?" She whispered, rounding the kitchen island to stand before him.

I didn't miss the way her eyes looked at me with concern. I couldn't help it, I was slowly feeling the strength of willpower slip from my body. My beast was growling, begging to track down the harm that threatened my pack.

"Charlie?" A soft voice whispered.

I blinked, not realising I had spaced out. Nova was hazy, her facial features blurring as she crept toward me. My chest was as tight as my fists, my jaw ticking with agitation. My tongue felt heavy in my mouth, and Nova must've noticed the internal battle between man and beast because her face softened.

Where Phoenix often just barked orders at my wolf to stand down, Nova appeared to approach me differently. I growled a warning when she got too close, and her eyes hardened. The baby in her arms squirmed and my eyes followed the movements. But before I could even contemplate what it was doing, Nova was falling.

My eyes widened, arms moving automatically. As Phoenix turned to grab her by the waist, I latched onto the baby in her arms. Annabelle fell into my hold with ease and I was fast to bring her to my chest in case she was struck by flailing arms.

But it never happened. Phoenix steadied Nova, as I held the innocent child to my chest. My nostrils flared, an instant desire of comfort flooding my lungs. I found my nose glued to the child, the softness of her skin brushing against my cheeks. She was so sweet, so small in my hold.

Too distracted by the essence of the newborn, I didn't realise Nova was smirking at me. My eyes snapped up to hers, frowning.

"What are you laughing for? You nearly crushed your daughter! What did you trip over? An invisible wire?"

"Okay, I am going to take that as a thank you for snapping me out of my near-shift, Nova. Sorry I am talking like crap, you scared the crap out of me so it had to leave me somewhere." She drawled.

Phoenix rolled his eyes at his mate, moving toward the bassinet in the living room. I noticed the unbothered sway to his walk, the calmness that surrounded him as he bathed in the scent and feel of his home.

"What?" I wondered, my tone softer.

"My trip was fake." She snorted. "You fell for my trap."

Eyes wide, I stared at her like she was insane. "You risked your child's life for a trick?"