Wattpad Original
There are 50 more free parts

Debrief

verb ~ to question someone about a completed mission or undertaking

CHARLIE

Boy, today was a good day.

I finally get out of this stinking office and back to normality.

Packing up my various discarded things, I made quick work of picking up the discarded food wrappers. If Phoenix found out I was eating food in his office, he would kill me. Sweets and biscuits especially, the stickiest, messiest kind of snack to eat around technology.

The door handle shifting had me squeal like a baby with fright. I was on my knees behind the desk, picking up the last remaining mars bar wrappers.

"Charlie?"

I cursed, recognising Phoenix's voice.

"What are you doing back there?"

Eying my options, I shoved them all in my pockets and peer my head up. My nose level with the desk, I smiled with my eyes. A nervous laugh tumbled from my lips as his eyebrows quirked.

"Just making sure the desk isn't wobbling anymore!" I spluttered, wrapping my hands around the wood to shake it.

The pens flew wildly, my eyes widening as I failed to see just how wobbly this table was.

Wow, he really needed to get this looked into. If someone was to bump into this, it would send his laptop flying...

"Stop shaking my desk," Phoenix grunted. "I can smell the sugar."

Rising to my feet, I grinned. "I don't know what you are talking about. I was just leaving!"

"Stay," He shook his head. "I need you to debrief me."

I groaned, saying goodbye to my freedom this afternoon. I was hoping to do absolutely nothing because I was sick and tired of being Alpha.

"I don't wanna," I pouted, but fell into his chair.

"My chair," He grumbled before pointing to the chair beside him. "Your chair."

Huffing, I climbed over his desk with a determined expression and sank into the visitor's chair. Phoenix stood behind me for a moment before sighing and walking around to his desk. With a grimace, I watched him settle into his chair, his hands running over the smooth leather.

It had been a while since I saw him in his office chair. In the last few days of Nova's pregnancy, he worked in his home office.

The twins were now nearing a month old, and Nova practically forced him to go back to work. He had no choice anyway, needing to complete some invitations to the twin's celebratory party. But something changed between them a few weeks ago, and I am not sure what it was, but they had perked up considerably. Maybe it was the cheeky glint in their eye, but they definitely got laid.

"What do you want?" I pouted.

"Nice to see you too, Charlie." Phoenix chuckled, firing up his laptop.

I went rigid the same moment he did, and he leaned forward, his hand coming to cup his chin. My nerves grew the longer he scanned the screen, hoping he wouldn't say anything about what he saw. Phoenix's computer had end-to-end encryption and some of the best tech going. Nobody could see what I was doing.

His hazel eyes flickered over to me, and he cleared his throat. "What... even is this?"

I swallowed. "It's a blow-up doll."

"I see that but... it's Sean."

I grinned, shrugging. "I thought it would be funny for his birthday."

Phoenix hummed, clicking some things and closing the tabs. I cleared my throat, shifting in my seat as he navigated the computer. He breathed deeply, reading something. I couldn't help but peer around, trying to see what he was doing.