Wattpad Original
There are 40 more free parts

Severity

noun ~ the fact or condition of being unpleasant or serious

POLLUX

I paused, staring at Phoenix wide-eyed. "A what?"

He groaned, his head falling backward as he squeezed his eyes closed. "I know, it's maddening."

"A bounty? Who would order a hit on Nova?"

"On both of you." He sighed.

I felt my blood cool like ice. "Me?"

"Nova more so, thanks to her ability to turn humans to wolves. But there are people out there who want your blood too, and your cousins."

"How do you know?" I whispered.

Charlie was right.

"I have received letters; death threats." He swallowed, avoiding eye contact. "There are people out there who think I have too much power, and having two lycan wolves under my roof only exploits that."

"So more cults wanting to take down the stronger wolves?" I grunted.

Just like the rogue group that kidnapped Nova last summer.

"Pretty much," he sighed. "They say I have too much powerful blood and if I don't hand it over, it will spill."

My eyes widened. "Yeah, that is definitely a threat enough to scare someone. You haven't told Nova?"

His gaze shifted to me, a look of sarcasm passing by.

"Whilst all this was going on? No."

"You know what she's like about hiding things from her." I stated, scowling at him.

"I know, I know." He grunted. "But I didn't want to worry her during the party. She would've been on edge and not wanted to be near anybody."

"True." I muttered. "When are you going to tell her?"

"I don't know." He scratched his jaw. "I don't know if I want to."

I snorted a laugh. "She isn't that scary."

His eyes widened, holding my gaze. "That woman is the scariest person I have met."

The laughter didn't stop, and I clutched my stomach with glee. Phoenix even chuckled, joining me on his admittance of fear. Only when it died down did he sober with a hum.

"Honestly, she is scary when angry. I think it's because I don't want to hurt her feelings." He sighed.

"She is your mate. She is the only person whose feelings you will ever care about above your own." I shrugged. "You are bound to be scared by her reaction. But isn't it worth it?"

"Isn't what?"

"Telling her." I rolled my eyes. "If anything happens. If any border breeches, murders or whatever, happen, then she deserves to know why before they do. It'll make her look stupid otherwise, and she is anything but."

Phoenix sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I should just tell her now, yeah?"

I nodded. "You should. She's your mate."

He observed me a little longer, and I remained silent beneath the scrutiny of his strange-coloured eyes. For a moment, I admired how different he was to when I first met him over ten years ago. They threw the tortured boy into a world where he had to become a man, and I regretted not being fast enough to help him save his parents.

Young, innocent Phoenix had changed overnight, and over the years became a man who people feared. Yet now, peering into his eyes full of concern for his mate's attitude, I didn't see that. Nova had softened his hard skin, brought back that soft-minded boy back from before his pack was torn apart. He was slowly healing that part of himself, and I was forever grateful that he allowed me to see that part of him.