Wattpad Original
There are 35 more free parts

Game

noun ~ a complete episode or period of play, ending in a definite result

CHARLIE

Fucking time out.

Ridiculous

Utter madness.

I was a grown man, and she made me sit on my ass and face the wall like a toddler!

Nova shifted from Phoenix's lap at the sound of her daughter's cry and I followed her like a hawk. I hid in the shadows of a tree, and I knew she would not notice me if she didn't search for me. I was going to avoid her like a plague.

"What's got you grumbling?"

My eyes darted to Calida over the rim of my glass, and I quickly swallowed the whiskey in my mouth.

"Calida!" I beamed. "Hi!"

I pulled her in for a hug, and she laughed softly. For a fleeting moment, I got to inhale her lemon fresh scent, so happy that my mate was one of my favourite smells. She didn't like hugs for long, but it was one thing we were working toward.

"Hi." she squeaked, smoothing her hands down her top. "I said, what are you grumbling about?"

"Me?" I scoffed. "I'm not grumbling about anything."

She raised one eyebrow at my dismissal, a knowing smirk on her face. I scowled at her, huffing and looking back toward the pack. Had Nova turned my mate against me, too?

"What happened?" She grinned. "To get you this wound up, it had to be good."

"I was put in a time out." I mumbled.

"What? You were put where?" She leaned closer.

My eyes dropped to her chest unwillingly, my jaw tightening at the soft expanse of breast she unknowingly exposed to me. I groaned softly, looking away with a sigh.

"Time out." I huffed. "Nova put me in a time out."

I knew my mate would find it hilarious, no sympathy for the man of her dreams. And I was right, because after a solid three seconds, she burst into soft fits of laughter. Rolling my eyes, I couldn't help but admire the sound, just happy to have her near me. Teasing was better than her outbursts. Emotion control was something else we had to work on. For both of us.

Calida was learning to channel her anger and fear, and I had to learn to hold myself back. Being serious came harder than you'd think. I was so used to being the loud guy, becoming the quiet one took a lot out of me.

"What did you do?"

"Why does everyone assume it was something I did?" I frowned.

Calida giggled. "Because you are the one who got put in a time-out?"

"I was just helping!" I defended. "Nova is just stressed, because Pollux leaves tomorrow."

Calida looked at me in a way I didn't like. I grimaced, taking a step further under the tree so she couldn't see me. She appeared almost sympathetic, and I didn't want to know why. If she was to goad me about something that I didn't realise about myself, I knew it wouldn't end well. I was already unstable enough today. I have only ever cried around two people: my parents, and Nova. Oh, wait, that's three. Technically, it could be four because my of my unborn sibling.

Dammit.

"Charlie..." Calida sang.

"Not here." I mumbled, pressing myself into the bark.

She scoffed. "Stop it. You're not hiding anywhere."

"I'm not hiding. I'm just invisible."

Her laughter distracted me enough for her to get the upper hand, and within a second, she was wrapping her hands around my wrists. I scowled, recognising her win and relaxing my posture.