Wattpad Original
There are 51 more free parts

Softness

noun ~ the quality of being sympathetic, lenient, or compassionate

PHOENIX

Running with Nova felt ethereal. Our wolves bonded, unwanted energies dissolving with the breeze. I haven't felt so close to her in so long, our struggles and lack of sleep leaving us feeling distant. But now, it was as though it had never happened.

Her wolf was perfect. Celimene didn't stray once. Despite being practically locked away for a year, she never once lost her mind. She was wise, strong, and so damn bossy. She had greeted me politely before barking at me to let her mate through.

It amused me, but I allowed them together, giving Ares my complete trust and control. And when I finally came back to myself, it startled me to find Nova stark naked before me. She had given chase before shifting, and Ares, sated for now, allowed me forward. I was confused, but quickly shifted back, ready to embrace my mate the moment I set my eyes on her. And it only went from there.

The night was full of surprises.

Not that I was complaining.

After our coupling in the lake, we shifted back and ran back to our clothes. I could feel Nova's excitement as we neared, her eagerness to see the babies taking over her mind. Our bond thrummed as I helped her dress, and she frowned when her trousers clung too tightly to her still damp skin.

"Everything aches," she pouted.

I chuckled, pulling on my t-shirt. "It has been a while since you've shifted. I can imagine it may need wearing back in."

"I haven't done so much exercise in so long," she huffed.

With quick ease, I scooped her into my arms and pulled her to my chest. She squeaked slightly, surprised, but wrapped her arm around my shoulder like she always did. It was the first time I have held her like this since the twin's birth, and I could feel the difference in weight without them. Those twins must've weighed a tonne, and I can only imagine how sore and achy that must've felt.

"You always carry me like this," she murmured.

I chuckled, kissing her temple. "Because it's easier and I can still look at your gorgeous face."

She frowned at me, playfully tapping the side of my cheek. "You're such a flirt."

Grinning, I shrugged and pulled her closer. "I will carry you like this forever if I have to."

"Then I really will be weak and tired." She snorted. "You will literally be my muscle."

"I can live with that," I mused.

She scoffed playfully, but I was just happy that the angry, brooding emotions had vanished. Nova could be scary pregnant, but I blamed the double hormones more than anything else.

"I hope my dad doesn't comment about this," she muttered as we walked down the garden path.

"About which part?" I wondered.

"The smell." She winced.

"Nova, you are an adult. You are twenty-two years old and fully mated. You have two kids. I think they know we mate regularly." I smirked.

Nova blushed, shaking her head at me. Reaching the door, I set her on her feet. She wobbled slightly, cursing as her hand came to rub at her shoulder. I placed my palm on her back, unlocking the house and pushing open the door.

The heavy wood swayed softly, and with it came the scent of home. I inhaled deeply, noting the recent smell of coffee and bread. Pushing Nova forward, I stepped in behind her and scanned the gardens before shutting the door.