Wattpad Original
There are 38 more free parts

Jack-In-The-Box

noun ~ a children's toy that, when cranked under pressure, springs open in surprise

NOVA

Over the next few days, I couldn't shake the worry from my shoulders. My stomach was in a constant churn of anxiety, overwhelming me so much so that I was sure the entire pack could feel it. Everybody was over friendly, and I didn't like it. I busied myself as much as I could, even if it meant dragging the twins along in a tandem pushchair.

Today, it only amplified, because today was the day Pollux began to pack his things. I was following him like a lost puppy around the house, my lip in a pout as he sorted through his things.

"Do you want this?" He asked, holding a fluffy green pillow.

I took it but kept the pout in place. "You're not going forever, are you?"

He chuckled. "I don't enjoy being confined to one place, Nova, but I won't be gone forever."

I sighed, clutching the pillow to my chest. Burying my nose into it, Pollux's soft scent flushed down my senses. I knew he had to go because that was who he was, but I would just miss him. Besides, who else would help me annoy Charlie?

We moved from the living area and into the quaint kitchen. He pointed out things that I could have, and I insisted I didn't need any.

"I need someone to eat all my food." He complained.

I rolled my eyes. "Then you know the person is not me, but a certain brown-eyed beta."

Pollux chuckled. "I have yet to say goodbye to him."

"You haven't said goodbye to me yet." I quirked an eyebrow.

"That's because I haven't left yet." He smirked.

"Do you have a route mapped out?" I wondered.

He shrugged. "I'm just going to head south, I think. I went north last time, and have been to the lycan village way too many times now. A little sun won't hurt."

"Got your factor one hundred?" I teased. "It will soon be summer."

Pollux grunted, shutting the cupboard door rather loudly. "I have fur, Nova."

"In the villages too?" I laughed. "That'll end up with you as a fur rug!"

He smirked, head dropping, as he stared at the kitchen counter. "They have arrested me before. I think I can handle some humans."

"Oh please, taking flowers from a bench is hardly jail worthy."

He gasped. "Who told you?"

"Who do you think?" I laughed. "Charlie will tell me anything."

"Oh yeah? Well, neither of you know why I got arrested the second time!"

"What did you do the second time?" I grinned. "Stole somebody else's air?"

Pollux frowned. "You are in for it."

I laughed. "I have to get it all out now. Charlie has rubbed off on me."

"He is a menace." He grunted before sighing. "I will miss him."

"You two have a great bond." I shrugged. "But I know Charlie, and I know he would want you to go out there."

Pollux inhaled sharply, nodding his head softly. "It was him who made me speak to you guys in the first place."

"And did he say the same thing?"

"In his own way." His lips quirked. "And then he got me flat out drunk."

We laughed, reminiscing about that night. I had been so preoccupied, trying to fit into my first major role as a luna, that I hadn't noticed what Pollux was doing. It wasn't until Phoenix nudged me and I found him cuddling up in a corner, kissing a visiting alpha.