▹ a special message.

"Kim Mingyu if you don't stop eyeing that cake,"

Not having to even finish his warning, the younger immediately looks away from the delicious dessert crafted by none other than Leo himself. It was placed right in the middle of the counter, with a sweet message scribbled (with great skill and care) on the top.

Leo and Mingyu had concocted a random excuse to leave Wonwoo's birthday dinner early, and although it hurt their hearts a little when seeing the little frown on the birthday boy's lips, they were sure to slap a big fat smile back on soon.

"Is that him ?" Leo asks at the ding of Mingyu's phone, who in turn checks the message before nodding excitedly.

"Weehoo, I can't wait to taste this masterpiece." Mingyu rubs his hands together excitedly, completely ignoring the fact that it wasn't even his cake.

Leo turns around to eye him with one raised brow. "What was that ?"

"To see Wonwoo hyung," the tall man takes cautious steps away from the dessert. "I can't wait to see Wonwoo hyung's reaction, yeah." a sheepish smile spreads on his lips, his hands clasping together behind his back as he stands quietly now.

Leo hums in response, walking over towards the door when he hears the code being punched in. The moment Wonwoo steps though the door, he blinks, and his glasses get snatched off of his face. The man freezes and looks around his now blury surroundings slowly, before meeting a smiley hyung in front of him.

"Um, hi ?" he speaks slowly, wary of what Leo had up his sleeve.

"Wonwoo-ssi," Leo leans closely as he speaks. "If you look behind me, what can you see ?"

Wonwoo wouldn't have thought Leo was teasing him, until a giggle could be heard from a third party.

"Are you seriously making fun of me on my birthday hyung ?"

Leo shakes his head dismissively, momentarily wishing Mingyu was beside him so her could slap him upside his head.

"No, I'm serious."

Still very wary, Wonwoo focuses his (blury) gaze behind the older, squinting out of habit. "Some sketchy dude flipping me off in the corner."

Spinning on his heels, Leo is just able to catch the last few seconds of Mingyu's middle finger raised with a smirk before it all vanishes; despite the distance, Mingyu still flinchs when Leo mimics a rather aggressive hair pull.

"What's that weird white round thing on the counter ?"

"Aha," Leo is back to smiling now, and he pulls Wonwoo by his shirt and starts to guide him towards the counter, a mildly nervous Mingyu tiptoeing closer. "Close your eyes."

"I can't even see-"

"Just close them !" Leo rushes out with a flick to his neck, Wonwoo yelping but still complying with a sigh.

Leo slips out a small box from his back pocket, and he carefully retrieves a new pair of glasses before sliding it on Wonwoo's face; the younger wouldn't notice it until he goes to bed later, but Leo doesn't mind.

"Open !"

Mingyu yells out of pure impatience as he was never one for the suspense, Leo gives him a curt look before focusing back to the man who is now blinking rapidly to adjust his vision. He first notices a cake with white frosting and sprinkles, a small smile on his lips growing - but when he reads the writing on it, the smile falters.

Mingyu and Leo share a look, worried if they maybe overdid it with the message.

❝ 원우 생일 축하해. 레오랑 민규랑 엄마한테서 ❞

"Happy birthday Wonwoo," a sudden tear slips from his eye as he reads, and it slowly slides down his cheek to dangle from his jaw. "From Leo, Mingyu, and mom."

Mingyu watches nervously with big eyes, subconsciously holding his breath as more tears suddenly start to pour from the man who rarely ever cries. Leo gently places a hand on Wonwoo's shoulder.

"Do you not like it ?" he asks softly, a comforting tone underlining his words that make Wonwoo instinctively lean into the olders touch.

"No, no I do it's just," he sniffles as he pushes his (new) glasses up to quickly wipe at his teary eyes.

"How'd you fit all of this on this small cake ?"

With Wonwoo's words the tension is immediately broken, and the two boys chuckle.

"Thank you hyung, seriously." Leo knows it's out of Wonwoo's comfort zone to be emotional, so the older smiles brightly with a nod, gently patting his shoulder.

"Hey, I helped too !" Mingyu pouts from his spot opposite them as he leans against the counte on his elbows.

"Yeah, thanks so much for all the nagging Mingyu-ssi, I really appreciated all the times you dropped the ingredients on the floor." Leo quips, a humorless smile on his lips as he regards the tanned man.

Clicking his teeth, he mutters a "You enjoyed cleaning it anyways," as he looks away.

Although he wanted to question how Leo managed to bake a whole cake in a very short amount of time, Wonwoo saved that for another time as he was eager to dig in. The three housemates put their diets aside for a moment, and devoured the whole cake, not leaving even a single crumb on their plates. They share a couple of beers as they spoke, before retiring to their bedroom around 1am.

Wonwoo was in the bathroom to wash up, and he does a double take in the mirror when noticing the unfamiliar accessory on his face. Furrowing his brows, he pulls the glasses off to inspect them; he smiles to himself with a chuckle when he sees what's engraved inside.

"Hwaiting Jeon Wonwoo !"

𔘓.