𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙇𝙑𝙀

It was the next morning and the board of Inquiry, a commander and other Navy officers were seated behind a long table at the front of the room

It was the next morning and the board of Inquiry, a commander and other Navy officers were seated behind a long table at the front of the room. Ivy was facing them with her dress whites on. Viper was also present as the commander looked at each of the officers and they all nodded in turn to indicate they were ready.

The commander turned his head to face Ivy and stated for the record "The spin was induced by the disruption of air flow into the starboard engine. This disruption stalled the engine which produced enough yaw rate to induce a spin which was unrecoverable. The board of Inquiry finds that she was not at fault in the accident of July 29th"

Yet there was no response from Chaos as Viper studied her face with concern "Lt. Mitchell's record will be cleared of this incident and is restored to flight status without further delay. These proceedings are closed" Ivy took a breath, grabbed her hat and quickly left the room to where Iceman, Maverick and Goose were waiting outside for her.

"Hey, how'd it go?" Maverick pulled her into his chest and placed a loving kiss to the top of her head.

"All cleared and restored to flight status immediately" She mumbled into his chest before they pulled away "You guys ready?" She referred to Theo's funeral that would be taking place in less than twenty minutes.

Goose nodded giving her sad but comforting smile as he patted her on the shoulder "Yeah we're ready Chaos"

She nodded, taking another deep breath "Let's do this then" Iceman gave her kiss on the forehead and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

-----

"Okay I'm not gonna lie, I really didn't see myself standing on this podium today but I owe it to Theo. Theo was mine and my brother's best-friend since the fourth grade and to have him taken away from you like that it's...it's like a nightmare that you just can't escape from. I know some people here today will understand what I mean. Erm...I found this poem called A Hero's Welcome by Robert Longley and I'm going to read it for you all today" She then took a small piece of paper out from her pocket. 

"Time to come home dear brother. Your tour of duty through. You've given as much as anyone could be expected to do. Just a few steps further the smoke will start to clear. Others here will guide you. You have no need to fear. You have not failed your brothers you clearly gave it all. And through your selfless actions, others will hear the call. So take your place of honour among those who have gone before. And know you will be remembered for now and evermore. Theo Rivera, we thank you for everything you did here at Top Gun and I thank you personally for being the best friend and RIO I've ever had" Feeling the tears forming in her eyes, she gave a quick glance up to the sky before looking back at the gathering of people "Thank you" She finished, stepping down and going back to her original spot in between Maverick and Goose.

Three blank shots were fired as the admiral then passed Jessica the folded American flag "On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Navy, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's honourable and faithful service"

As Theo's casket got lowered into the ground, Ivy and every other navy pilot saluted him one last time. Tears were already rolling down her face as she bit her lip to prevent no noise coming out "I love you too Theo" She whispered.

After the funeral, Ivy went to go clear out Theo's room so she could give his personal things to Jessica. She walked into the dim room with Maverick, Goose and Ice slowly entering behind her. She set the cardboard box on the bed and took a few minutes to glance around the room. It was very quiet.

"You all right Chaos?" Goose was the first to ask.

"I just need to sort everything..." She said quietly before going over to his bedside table to see a picture of her, Pete, Theo and Goose. The day they got accepted into Top Gun. There was another of just the three when they were still in high school. And another one was of Theo and Jessica from when they all came to visit, his hand resting on her stomach as Ivy smiled from behind the camera.

"Ivy, we can do that later" Maverick spoke up "There's no rush"

But Ivy wasn't having it "I can do this Pete!" She then started gently throwing his things into the box like clothes, books, a radio, his watch, a walkman, a clock and a few things from the bathroom as she examined each one closely like an artefact. . .as if she might find some message or meaning in them. The three pilots just looked at her helplessly knowing there was nothing they could do to help her right now.

Ivy and Maverick walked into the reception area where Jessica was sat, staring at a silent TV, her face stained with tears and her hand resting shakily on her stomach. Ivy felt sick as she handed the box to Jessica.

"God he loved flying with you, Chaos" Ivy hugged her then Maverick stepped forward and hugged her too "But he'd 'a flown anyway. Without you. He'd hate it but he'd do it. And Maverick, you were the brother he never had. He loved both of you so much"