𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉

It was night time when Ivy arrived at Viper's nice suburban home as she walked up to the door and knocked

It was night time when Ivy arrived at Viper's nice suburban home as she walked up to the door and knocked. Mrs. Metcalf ended up opening the door and welcoming the girl in with a soft smile.

Tim, their ten year old son, watched her warily as Ivy awkwardly followed Mrs. Metcalf down the hall and opened a study door to see Viper sat at his desk wearing a walkman headset and working on his income tax. He looked up and motioned for Ivy to come in while taking off his headset.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" Mrs. Metcalf asked Ivy who shook her head in reply so she took her leave.

Ivy sighed and turned her head to look at Viper "Skipper, sorry to bother you"

Viper shook his head "No bother. Just one minute. I think I've figured these taxes so that I pay the Government just a little more than they pay me every year"

Chaos smiled, looking at the photographs around the room when she stopped at one picture. It was of Viper and some other men, one of whom is her father.

"I served with your old man"

Chaos turned around with a surprised look on her face "Where?"

"VP 51, the Oriskany. You and Maverick are just like he was, only better...and worse"

"I don't feel anything like him"

Viper chuckled "That's the contrary sort of thing he'd say. You are like him. He was a natural heroic son of a bitch"

Ivy smiled slightly "So he did do it right?"

"Is that why you fly like you do? You think you got something to prove?" Viper asked "Your old man did it very right, we were in the worst fire fight I ever dreamed of. Bogeys like fireflies all over the goddamn place. His F-4 was hit, he was wounded, but he could have made it back, but he stayed in it. Saved three planes that I saw. Before he bought it"

Ivy was nearly on the verge of tears as she took in a deep breath to try and calm herself down "We never heard that"

"Not something the State Department tells dependents when the battle occurs over the wrong lines on some map"

"And you were there?"

Viper nodded as he made eye contact with her "I was there. What's on your mind kid?"

Chaos looked at him for a second before casting her eyes down at the floor "My options, sir"

"Simple. We can send you back to your squadron with nothing noted on your record no explanation required. Doesn't hurt your career, but people always wonder about things like that. Or...you can quit. It's no disgrace, Lieutenant. That spin was hell. It would shake me up" Viper explained, looking at her with nothing but concern in his eyes.

"So you think I should quit?"

"I didn't say that. But I have a responsibility to the other guys up there, not just you. They need to know you're all right...that they can depend on you" Ivy sighed, reaching into her pocket and took out the Navy Cross as she looked at it.

"Kid, the plain fact is...you feel responsible for Bullet. And you've lost your confidence. Technically, the board of inquiry absolved you. I'm not gonna stand here and blow sunshine up your ass. You and I know what really happened. You pushed it but you've got to push it. Now the question is, is there some value in it. Start with what you know. It is the first thing I've ever seen that really made you stop and question yourself. A good pilot always questions their self. Stays alert to drifting. Makes little corrections. That saves their life"

Chaos was quiet for a moment before speaking "Would you take me back? Would they?"

"I start with what I know. You were gone and now you're back. The Navy's got a lot invested in you. They'd hate to lose it. The Navy needs a very few, very very good women"

-----

The day had come

The day had come. It was finally graduation. Ivy was stood in front of her mirror slicking her hair back into the military issued bun when her eyes came across a polaroid that was tucked into the side of the mirror. It had the core four in it. Maverick and Goose and her and Bullet.

"God I wish you were here Bullet" She smiled at the polaroid when she heard knocking on her door. It was her brother "Hey Mav"

"Hey Ivy" He walked over to her before kissing her forehead and pulling her into a hug "I know today is gonna be hard but you gotta remember that Theo would be so proud of you. Proud that you didn't just give up and quit and that instead you kept going and you made it" Ivy smiled into her brother's shoulder as they pulled away.

"We made it Mav" She smiled up at him "He's proud of all us and I can't thank you, Ice, Goose or Slider enough for never giving up on me"

Maverick smiled "Come on, we should get down there before Goose drinks all the beers" Ivy chuckled as she grabbed her hat and smoothed down her uniform before they left.

"Look who finally decided to show up" Slider joked when he saw the Mitchell siblings approaching. Ivy chuckled before greeting him with a hug as she did Goose and Ice.

"Well baby, we made it" Ice said once they had pulled away as she smiled and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"We sure did, Kazansky" He smiled at the use of his last name before bringing her in for a quick kiss "Now go get your trophy. You deserve it"

After the ceremony Ivy was stood with Ice and a few other pilots as they all talked with beers in their hands when Viper turned to them "Gentleman, Lady. You know how I hate to break up this party before it has a chance to get really out of hand...but there's work to do"

"Iceman and Slider" Jester said as he started handing out envelopes to the group.

"Yo" Tom said accepting the envelope.

"Hollywood and Wolfman" Jester said also handing them their envelope.

"Maverick and Goose" Jester said.

"Yep" Maverick replied before taking the envelope.

"Chaos"

"Sir" She replied and took the envelope.

"Chaos you'll get your RIO when you get to your ship. And if you don't" He paused as a light smile took over his face "Give me a call. I'll fly with you"

"Sir" She nodded and smiled at him gratefully.