Chapter Eighteen- Sick

"I'm just glad you're okay." His lips lightly kissed my head.

Chapter Eighteen- Sick

Logan's POV

The house was still peaceful and quiet, just the way I had left it awhile ago. My mother was still in the kitchen, a lovely scent filling the building.

"Mom, I'm back!" I stated as I closed the front door with my foot.

"Okay, I'm just making a snack," she replied before the sound of chopping replaced the silence.

Smiling, I kicked off my shoes and began to walk towards the kitchen. But the chopping suddenly stopped and a loud thud replaced it instead.

The smile was instantly wiped from my face as I ran to the kitchen, only to find my mother on the hard wood floor.

"Mom!" I yelled as I rushed to her side, uncertain of what to do in this situation. Her eyes were wide as her body withered and convulsed.

Everything seemed to just erase itself from my mind and I couldn't help the small tears that fell from my eyes. I knew if I didn't help her quick, I would lose her. And that would leave me completely without parents.

"Okay, I'm gonna get some help," I stated before reaching for the house phone. My fingers dialed the number, even though my hands trembled violently.

"911. What is your emergency?"

"My mother is on the floor and I think shes having a heart attack."
/ / / / /

I paced outside back and forth, my mind focused on nothing but my mother. The image of her pained face was burned into my mind and it scared me to think about what would happen if I hadn't been there.

I could handle losing my father but not my mother. She was the only there for me throughout all these years. Not only that but because of the absence of my father, we have grown closer together and our relationship has grown stronger.

When the chaplain had come to our home to tell us that my father had fallen in battle, my immediate response was to hold onto my mother. And even after the horrible news, she refused to allow me to see her cry. She wanted me to believe that she was strong enough for the both of us, even though I knew she was dying inside.

That proved that my mother was strong and that she can get through whatever she was dealing with. All I had to do was believe in her and take care of her.

"I came as fast as I could," Sam said as she rushed towards my area of the waiting room. Once she was close enough, she stuck out her hand, a bouquet of pink flowers enclosed in her fist. Although the flowers were beautiful, I couldn't help but notice the purple bruise that was hiding under her sleeve.

I smiled as I took the flowers, set them down on the table, and grabbed her arm so I could see her injuries. She seemed resistant at first but allowed me to see.

I rolled the sleeve up, revealing the large purple bruise that wrapped around her wrist as if someone was grabbing for her. My nose flared in hatred as I realized who had done this.

"Who did this?" I asked, calmly.

"Its really not that bad, Logan," she stated as she yanked her arm back.

"Did he do it?" I asked once again. But she refused to answer, her eyes cast downwards so I could not see her eyes. "Did he touch you anywhere else, Sam?"

Slowly, she lifted her sweatshirt in order for me to see the red and purple skin. I gasped, saddened by the fact that my best friend had to experience what I always have to experience.

I knew today wasn't a school day so this bruise wasn't new, which meant she had waited to tell me or she was never planning to tell me and that hurt me even more.

Unable to form complete sentences, I pulled her into my chest, understanding the emotional and physical pain she was going through.

But I wasn't going to let Scott get away with this. He needed to learn his lesson, once and for all.

After we separated, she took a seat on one of the couches near by and I went to call my boyfriend.

"The number you are trying to reach is currently unavailable," the dumb machine lady said after multiple empty rings. Sighing, I pressed the end button. I just wanted to talk to him, to tell him about the shit that was currently happening. But of course, he was unavailable at the worst time.

"Mr. Prescott," a deep voice said, causing me to turn around to face the doctor. He seemed surprised by how young I looked but continued speaking anyways. "Your mother was experiencing a heart attack. But do not worry, she is stable now and is currently resting."

I exhaled deeply, happy to know that my mother was live and well.

"We will be conducting a few tests but so far, we have discovered that she might have a coronary artery disease. Did you know about this?"

"No. I thought she was perfectly healthy."

"Well, we need to run a few more tests but I'll come back later to go over the rest of the information." the doctor said before shaking my hand and walking away. But I continued to stand there, confused and slightly, aggravated.

Heart disease wasn't just something that popped up out of nowhere. My mother had to have known about this and kept it from me this entire time.

It annoyed me that she would keep such a huge secret from me, knowing that I would find out eventually. But it baffled me as to why she would keep such a secret from me.

"At least shes doing better," Sam said from across the room. I glanced over at her, reminding me of the pain that was afflicted onto her. I sighed deeply, suddenly stressed from the two massive problems I had to deal with. If only Ryan would answer his phone, I could have someone to share the burden with.

Right on cue, my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. Ryan's picture was on the screen as he tried to reach me, causing an involuntary smile to fall onto my lips.

"Hello?" I said as I walked towards the exit to get a breath of air and some silence.

"Hey, sorry I missed your call. I was visiting someone," he replied, the sound of cars loud in the background. The smile fell from my lips.

"No its fine. Its just- I'm at the hospital."

"What hospital? I'm on my way." And that dumb smile returned to my face, probably from how much I loved Ryan and his reactions. I, then, gave him the directions to the hospital and awaited his presence.

He arrived shortly, his hair a mess from his bike helmet and his leather jacket draped over his shoulder. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked once he had approached me, his breathing quick and harsh. His hand grabbed my face, turning it in every direction to make sure I wasn't hurt.

"I'm fine. My mother is the one who isn't," I replied, pushing his hands away from my face.

"Oh, I was so worried," he said, his tongue snaking out to lick his dry lips. "How's your mother then?"

I dragged him to the couch opposite from the one Sam was sleeping on. Ryan looked at the sleeping girl curiously but ignored her nonetheless. I had forgotten that I had never introduced the two.

"My mother is fine. She had a heart attack and might have some heart disease."

"Oh, wow, I'm sorry. I'm sure she'll be fine." He shifted over on the couch, allowing me to cuddle into his side and bury my head in his shoulder as his fingers combed my hair. "I'm just glad you're okay." His lips lightly kissed my head.