Chapter Twenty Three- Free

so i went ahead and combined chapter 23 and 24 so this is the last chapter! thank you for all the support and for sticking around throughout the entire book. i love you guys and thank you, once again!

He held me, close to his body as he whispered, "I'm proud of you, son."

Chapter Twenty Three- Free

Ryan's POV

I entered my home, once again, my bags in my hands and I sighed deeply. I hated being here so much but this was my home and I couldn't stay with Logan forever. 

The moment I began climbing the stairs, I heard the floor creak behind me and my whole body went rigid. My father was home and I could practically feel his anger, his hatred. So I mentally prepared myself and waited for him to say something. 

"Where have you been?" he asked, his voice shaking with anger. I could just imagine his clenched fists and his hot red face. When I didn't answer, he raised his voice and repeated his question. "Where have you been?!"

"I was at Logan's. His mother is sick," I stated, not bothering to turn around and face him because I knew it would only bring me more fear. 

"You will look at me when I'm talking to you!" He bellowed before I was bringing dragged down the stairs by the back of my shirt and shoved against the wall. My eyes went wide as I stared at my enraged father. Every time I looked into his eyes I saw my own scared reflection and I was reminded how pathetic we were. 

He was a bitter middle aged man that had lost his wife and now took it out on his son. And who was I? I was a dumb young adult that was his father's boxing bag but was helplessly in love with another young boy who loved to draw. 

"Mother wouldn't like this." He flinched when I said that but that only seemed to anger him more. But for some reason, I wasn't scared anymore. I was done being scared and frightened by this man that I called my father. It was about time I did something about this situation. I had to be strong for my mom. 

"Do not speak of your mother in this house!"

"Why not? We have never talked about her death! Just because we don't acknowledge it, doesn't mean it never happened." 

"Stop talking about her!" His grip tightened on my throat and I had to fight to breath. At this point, I would be okay with dying; I embrace the idea because I am just so tired. But I knew that there were people here that I couldn't leave, that I had promised to myself I would protect. So I had to get through to my father because deep down, I knew he was not this man he had become. 

"You can admit you miss her, dad. I miss her too but you can't keep living this way. You beating me isn't going to bring her back." He turned his face away and I then noticed the sad look in his eyes. His grip around my neck loosened and his eyes slowly closed, his arms shaking now. "She may be gone but I'm still here."

"All I've done is hurt you. I hurt my own son."

"I forgive you." He looked up at me this time, his eyes wide from disbelief as if he wasn't sure of what I said. "I forgive you, dad."

"I'm so sorry." My heart lifted once he said that. My father finally apologized and I couldn't help the joyful tears that fell from my eyes at this point. My father had never apologized for what he did but the fact that he did means that we are taking a step in the right direction for once. My mother would be proud of him if she was here. "I'm so sorry, son."

I held him close, my face buried in his shoulder as I cried softly, relieved that my father had finally awakened. 

Four days later...

I waited patiently, my foot tapping against the cold ground, for Logan's name to be called. Not long after, our assistant principal said, "Logan Prescott." I jumped to my feet and began to cheer as loud as I could. 

He looked down at me from the stage, his cheeks a bright red as he smiled. I watched as he grabbed his diploma and stopped next to the principal to allow his mother to take a picture of them. With a flushed face, he ran off the stage to take his seat two rows behind me. 

I couldn't erase the smile on my face. We had finally graduated, my father was better than before and even cheered for me once my name was called, and Logan's mother was doing better but Logan had still hired a nurse to watch over her. 

Even to this day, our plans to live near Logan's college were still in action and the smile on my face grew wider as I thought about running away with Logan. Maybe our plans were impractical and impossible but I was willing to take any risk to be with the boy that made me feel loved even after I forgot what love was. 

I looked back at Logan and he smiled as if he was thinking the same thing. In that moment, I remembered how much I loved him and his beautiful smile. Maybe we were just a dumb couple in love but I was okay with that. 

After the rest of our class had been called, the graduation was over and Logan immediately ran towards me. I caught him in my arms and hugged him tightly. There was nothing holding us back anymore. We could finally leave and start over. Logan's mom was under super vision, my father was starting to work on cars again, and Sam was accepted to a college out of state as well. She planned to live with her aunt, who was a very close relative and was much nicer than her mother. 

I put Logan down but only to find Logan's mom with her phone as she took pictures. "Mom, come on!" Logan whined as he held onto my side. His mother only smiled and begged for us to take another picture so we did. "Ok, that's enough." 

"I'm so proud of you," she said as she hugged her son and then surprisingly, she hugged me as well. There were small tears in the corner of her eyes and I smiled. "Your father would've been proud." Logan nodded and allowed his mother to hug him once more. 

We visited Sam after and even my father, who I was surprised to see didn't have a beer can in his hand. My father reached out for me and out of instinct, I flinched but he didn't hit me like I had thought. He held me, close to his body as he whispered, "I'm proud of you, son." I held him tighter.

After that, Logan and I left to go to his house, where a party was being held in our honor. There were only a few people there but it was the thought that counts. Logan's mother had given him a medallion, one his father had once worn and Logan cried, happily. She even gifted me with a small camera and made me promise to take many pictures while I stayed abroad with her son. I promised I would do so. 

My father didn't give me anything but I didn't except him too. His new self was the greatest gift he could've given me. "Come back to see me, okay?" he said and I nodded. "Take care of yourself. Don't do anything stupid. Take care of Logan too." 

"I got it, I got it," I responded. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. But before we could depart, I made sure to take a quick picture with him to remind myself of this day forever. "Thank you, dad."

"Tell Logan that I'm sorry- for everything," he stated before walking off to converse with Logan's mother. I joined Logan after that and he instantly dragged me upstairs, a bright smile on his face. 

"I have something for you," he said once we had entered his room. He reached under his bed and pulled out a painting, one that looked oddly familiar. "It's the painting I made for our art project."

"It's as beautiful as it was the day you made it," I stated as I took it from his hands. I would definitely keep this painting. "Thank you." 

"Are you sure you want to come with me?" he asked. "You and your father just started getting along and now you're leaving."

"I want to leave, Logan. I don't want to be with my father. I want to be with you." I placed my palm on his cheek and stared down into his eyes, loving the colors that swirled within them. 

"You want to be with me?" But I didn't answer, I just placed my lips against his and kissed him deeply. He seemed to love my response and pulled me closer. "I want to be with you too."