Chapter Twenty-Three - The High Queen of Elfhame

Aneurin paced back and forth in front of the fireplace, a letter with a golden seal clutched tightly in his grip

Aneurin paced back and forth in front of the fireplace, a letter with a golden seal clutched tightly in his grip. The messenger had arrived at dawn while Enid was still asleep, blissfully unaware of what she was about to face.

That was until she awoke.

"Anuerin? What is it?" Still groggy, she pushed herself up off the bed and joined him by the fireplace.

Enid wasn't sure he had even heard her, his eyes remained fixed on the letter as they poured over its contents. His silver hair lightly ruffled from sleep, his mouth was drawn into a tight line, and his brows furrowed.

"Aneurin." Enid poked his cheek like she often had as a child. He used to find it amusing and tickle her as retribution. Not this time, long fingers came up to bat her hand away, but he did not so much as glance at her.

Enid huffed and flopped down in the chair opposite him.

"What are you so serious about?"

At long last his attention moved from the letter to her.

"My mother wishes to see you." He muttered quietly, as though he didn't want her to hear it.

Enid's breath hitched in her throat, she tensed, and she gripped the arms of the chair so hard she thought they might snap.

"Why?" She asked.

"As high queen of Elfhame she has the ability to see and know all of what happens in her realm. Her spies are everywhere, no doubt she has some even within my household."

"How do we know she won't throw me straight back into the cells?" She bit down on the inside of her cheek until she tasted iron on her tongue.

"We don't." Aneurin leaned back in his chair, the fire casting shadows on his too perfect features.

"Which is why I want you to wear this." He unfurled his hand and produced a red velvet pouch. He crossed the space between them and placed it in her hand.

Enid pulled at the strings and the pouch opened, revealing a pendant in the shape of a diamond, with a ruby encased in the middle that glinted back at her.

"It's Iron, it will protect you should my mother try to lay so much as a finger on you." Aneurin answered her questioning look.

She stilled.

"You're not coming with me?"

"My mother has forbidden it. You are to meet her alone." He must have seen the terror on her face, or the way her hand clutched to the iron pendant just that little bit tighter, as though it could ward off the High Queen of Faery altogether.

"I can't-" Enid began, as her heart hammered in her chest.

"-You can." Aneurin cut her off, coming to stand behind her chair, he took the pendant from her and placed it around her neck. Tactfully avoiding touching the iron with his fingers as he did.