Chapter Eight ~ The Truth

Tensions were steadily on the rise in Aethelney

The Faes were on the move.

They weren't going to stop until they found out who had killed one of their own. They were determined, like wolves stalking their prey.

The Faes did not forget bad deeds done to their kind, no matter how much time had passed.

The villagers, over a period of several weeks, had concluded that Enid's father was the only person in the village that had not been seen the night that the Fae was said to have gone missing.

Once, Aethelney had been a peaceful village, the villagers had nothing more to do than gossip about the young girls wooed by farmers sons. Now, their eye had turned to John, Enid's father, and what was once harmless gossip had turned sinister.

The cottage was filled with darkness despite it currently being midday. The windows were boarded up with planks of wood, preventing the villagers from being able to see in, but also blocking out any daylight that might have been let in.

Enid was sat beside her mother at the table. Her father in his own seat at the head of the table his hair wild and unkempt, his eyes circled with dark rings.

"What are we going to do?" Her mother asked. Her voice ringing out into the quiet room.

"I don't know." It was the first thing he had said since telling them the news.

"Well, we must do something. They might suspect you but they cannot prove anything." She sighed, turning her head to look at Enid.

"I could go and ask James for help, he has the respect of the villagers since starting up his forge."

"No, we cannot ask that of him." Her mother replied, shaking her head resolutely.

"Gyda and Ethel then-"

"No! I will not have anyone who is not already involved brought into this."

Standing from her seat, Ygritte moved to the fireplace, lifting the kettle off of its hook.

"We need more water if we are going to get dinner cooked." She glanced in Enid's direction.

"I will get the water." She replied to her mother's pleading expression.

"Take two buckets, we don't want to have to leave the house more than we have to. They suspect enough of us as it is."

Picking up the two buckets beside the door, Enid stepped outside, the door shutting behind her with a groan.

The streets of Aethelney were all but deserted.

Good. She thought.

Enid walked quickly through the village until she came to the well, placing the buckets onto the ground and lowering the well's bucket down into the water below.