Chapter 25 - The heir and the spare

A cool breeze caressed Enid's skin and weaved through her red curls as she followed close behind Aneurin into the clearing

A cool breeze caressed Enid's skin and weaved through her red curls as she followed close behind Aneurin into the clearing. Back in the mortal realm and high in the mountains of Snowdonia, It was unclaimed territory between the Unseelie and Seelie Courts.

The only source of light was that of the moon that filtered through the trees around them. The scent of pine needles was thick in the night air, and the deep green moss squelched underfoot.

Enid had not missed the onslaught of Welsh weather since she had left for Elfhame.

"Where is Eilian?" Enid asked, searching the shadows of the forest to find nought but fern and pine trees as far as the eye could see.

"I don't know." Aneurin spoke quietly, watchful eyes surveying the tree line.

They had used the toadstool ring to travel there, it had made Enid's stomach lurch and bile rise in her throat as she was pulled through time and space from one realm to another. That same feeling began to rise within her as they waited for Eilian's arrival.

What if it was a trap?

Suddenly, from behind her a twig snapped. Enid spun and came face to face with Eilian. He cocked his head and an arrogant grin played on his lips.

"You humans startle so easily-" He mocked and gracefully moved past her into the clearing, his scrutinising gaze passing over her as he did "-like deer realising they have stumbled into a pack of wolves." He chuckled and turned his attention to Aneurin.

"Little brother, we meet again-" Eilian smirked, as though stifling a laugh "-last time I saw you, I had you restrained and at my feet...now look at you."

"Brother, I had hoped never to lay eyes upon you again. What's the matter? Unsatisfied with your lot?" Aneurin replied smoothly, seemingly unaffected by his jibe.

"On the contrary, I have requested this meeting for a very important reason, one you will be interested to hear about." Eilian began, slowly pacing back and forth, his arms crossed over his chest."Your lovely new bride isn't safe in Elfhame." Eilian's eyes flicked over to Enid as he spoke.

"Is that a threat?" Aneurin stiffened and his eyes darkened.

"No, it may not seem like it but I come in peace. However, the very fact you see it as such means you know she is not safe among our kind." Eilian paused, a hint of sadness flashed across his features. "Look at what became of Rose."

Enid sucked in a breath, and noted how Aneurin moved closer to her.

"Why did you request an audience with me, Eilian?" Aneurin spoke through gritted teeth.

"I came to ask for what is mine by birth. I am the rightful heir to the throne, I am the eldest, not you." Eilian replied and tilted his head, breathing deeply as he stared Aneurin down.