Chapter Five ~ Vengence

Enid's meetings with Aneurin soon became a regular occurrence

He would tell her about the Faes and she would tell him about the humans. Enid loved to listen to the soothing sound of his voice fill the air, it was not just in the way that he spoke, but the smile that often graced his lips as he did so.

She had made a new friend and for the first time since her sister's death, she was truly happy.

They were sat at the edge of the waterfall, watching the fish swim beneath the water.

Occasionally, small ripples would appear whenever the fish came too close to the surface.

"Aneurin?"

"Mmm?" He looked over at her.

"Mama has been teaching me how to plait my hair, can I plait your hair?" Slowly, a grin lifted at his lips and spread wide across his face.

"Yes, you may." She jumped up off the grass and raced over to him - sitting down behind him and brushing his long, silver hair back with her fingers. She wasn't particularly gentle, but Aneurin didn't seem to mind.

"Aneurin?"

"Yes, little one?" He replied; a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Do all Fae's have the same hair colour?"

"All the good Fae's do." His choice of words caught her attention.

"What about the bad Fae's?"

"They have dark hair. It is what separates them from us."

Once finished plaiting his hair, she stepped back to admire her work.

"How does it look?" He asked, glancing over at her.

"It suits you." She replied with a giggle and he smiled, reaching back to feel his hair.

"It's getting late. I need to get you home." Getting up off the ground and nodding his head in the direction of the village.

They walked back to the village in peaceful silence.

Whenever Aneurin was nearby, the animals of the forest would appear from behind trees and bushes, it was as though they were able to sense his presence. Even the trees themselves came to life - their branches waving in the wind as if in greeting.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" She asked when they reached the edge of the forest.

"If you wish it."

"I do."

"Then you shall."

Reluctantly, she bid him farewell and skipped happily past the Fae ring to her parent's cottage. Upon reaching the door she turned her head back over her shoulder to see if Aneurin was still stood by the Fae ring.