Chapter One ~ Aneurin

He was unearthly and eerily beautiful, with silver hair and grey, calculating eyes

He was unearthly and eerily beautiful, with silver hair and grey, calculating eyes. His skin was comparable to that of a porcelain doll. His aura feral and untamed, the very essence of him deadly and powerful.

He was a Fae; a dark creature that led children away into the depths of the forest, never to be seen again.

Children like Enid.

Rule number one: Never trust a Fae.

Her breaths came shaky and uneven; Her sister's ribbons tangled in her hair; her small body lost in the long yards of her sister's gown. It was because of her that Enid was here, stood mere inches away from the toadstool ring that lay at the edge of the forest at the far end of the village.

Too far away for anyone to reach her should she scream for help.

But she had gone alone anyway, determined to retrieve her sister from the Fae Folk.

He could hurt her, kill her in a second if he wanted. That thought swirled round and round in her head as she looked up at him, and waited for him to speak.

"Hello, little one."

He seemed more amused than frightened of her, no matter how hard she glared. She straightened her back and lifted her chin high into the air.

She had heard that the Fae were sometimes merciful to the youngest ones that happened across them.

And she was counting on it.

"Give me back my sister."

It was a child's demand, direct and straight to the point. But why would he? What did this Fae have to gain from such an exchange?

"I have not taken her."

Hastily, Enid took another step closer to him, her hands turning into fists.

"You're a liar!"

He moved around the Fae ring unfazed, his wings fluttered softly behind him, his gaze never left her.

"Perhaps I am. But not about this, I assure you." He did not leave the Fae ring, though Enid knew he could. Despite this, it gave her a sense of protection.

He was telling the truth. Though Enid was more annoyed by this than relieved. If it was not him that took her sister then who did?

"Where is she then?"

"How would I know? I am a Fae, not a seer." His voice was like velvet, but his tone was not. He could have sung a song to Enid of death and despair, and yet she would still think it lovely.

Everything about him screamed danger, but she did not leave - she could not.

This, her mother had taught her, would be considered disrespectful, since he could so easily place a curse upon her; perhaps he already had. Or, he could take out his wrath on the village itself. And so Enid did not shy away from his stare. He seemed captivated with her, peering down at her more curious than vengeful.

At just six years old Enid still retained the courage and recklessness of her childhood innocence. For she had the boldness of a child that had yet to learn how to fear. Though she was warned of the Fae and their fondness for toying with humans and playing tricks with their minds.

"What is your name, little one?"

Rule number two: Never give a Fae your name.

And Enid did not intend to.

"Elizabeth."

The Fae laughed, it was a smooth melody that was sweet to Enid's ears, as though an angel had come down from heaven above and was now stood before her. But a Fae was no angel, quite the opposite in fact.

"Little Liar!"

"What is your name?" She asked, and bit down on her lip as he smiled and knelt down to her level, his eyes boring into hers. Those grey eyes were hypnotising, she could not look away even if she had wanted to.

"Aneurin."

"Is that your real name?"

Another smile curved at his lips as he plucked a daisy from the ground, and placed it behind her ear.

"It is." He stood tall, towering above her tiny frame. When she remained silent he tilted his head to the side.

"You do not believe me, do you?"

"No." She replied. Faster than she had intended.

"Why is that?"

"Mama told me never to trust a Fae."

His stare darkened as he crossed his arms over his chest, mischievously smirking down at her.

"And she would be right, but you clearly did not heed her warning. For you are trusting me not to kidnap you right this very moment."

She gasped, eyes widening as she backed away from him. Praying he would not step through the Fae ring after her.

"I cannot give you your sister back, but I can take you to where she might be."

Elegant fingers stretched out toward Enid, beckoning her to them.

"All you have to do is come with me."

Rule number three: Never fall for their tricks.

Silently, Enid shook her head. Remembering the words her mother had taught her to say should a Fae ever try to kidnap her.

"I am sorry Lord Fae, but I cannot go with you." His outstretched hand lowered to his side, the Fae frowned, and his lips parted.

"Well played, little one. For this, I shall let you go."

Enid scrambled away from him as quickly as she could, curtseying clumsily before running back to the village.

She had escaped the Fae for now, though they were not known to let their victims go quite so easily.