Chapter Nine ~ Lovers meeting

Enid's fingers danced across the surface of the water

Enid's fingers danced across the surface of the water. Her reflection rippled as the currents from the waterfall pushed the water downstream.

She sat in front of the pool, leaning forward and resting her hands on the grassy verge.

Her hair fell forward, almost brushing against the surface of the pool. She tilted her head, watching with a smile as the water reflected her movements.

"Enid?" Aneurin appeared from behind the trees on the opposite side of the pool.

"Aneurin." She stood, her eyes following him as he made his way around the water's edge to stand before her.

"Do you know why I asked you to meet me here tonight?" A smile lifted at his lips, his fingers reaching out to lightly brush her cheek.

Enid shook her head, shivering gently as the cold wind blew through the fabric of her gown.

"Are you cold?" Aneurin asked, concern clouding his eyes.

"A little." Enid bit her lip, trying to suppress it. Wordlessly, Aneurin unclasped his cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders.

With one swift tug, he had pulled her close, his hands clutching to the cloak. His warmth radiating over to her.

"Will you not get cold?"

"Faes do not feel the cold."

"Then why do you wear a cloak?"

He laughed, his face lighting up.

"It helps me to blend in with my surroundings." Under the crescent moon, his skin glowed and shimmered.

"Why would you want to blend in?"

Aneurin smiled affectionately and his eyes became gentle.

"Because not everyone is as lovely as you are."

She blushed, pulling her eyes away from the strength of his gaze to look at the waterfall.

"Thank you." Was all she could think to say, daring to meet his eyes once more.

"Enid."

"Yes?"

"You don't need to thank me."

She smiled up at him.

"I don't?" She replied, her eyes glancing between his eyes and lips.

"No." His voice was a whisper now, smooth and velvety, as he leaned in closer to her.

Enid now openly eyed his lips, before flicking her eyes up to meet his. Aneurin was already watching her, his eyes half closed.

Her breath tangled in her lungs. It was as though he were an ancient God, greater than humankind was or will ever be.