Chapter Twenty-Four - Revelations and declarations

"THE QUEEN IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE KING

"THE QUEEN IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE KING."

The panicked crowd momentarily paused to take in what the healer had announced. Then, as swiftly as the calm had come it was gone again. The Queens guards tried desperately to restore order to no avail, within moments they vanished from view.

Screams and shouts echoed throughout the throne room as the courtiers shoved and pushed their way out of the room. The grand double doors were now dwarfed by the mass of Fae folk fleeing through them. 

"Come with me now! This way!" The silver haired Fae took hold of Enid's arm in an iron grasp far stronger than any mortal was capable of, and pulled her through the throngs of Fae.

They left the throne room and turned into a series of winding corridors, the chaos of the throne room long gone

The corridors stopped at a narrow oak door that led to the castle gardens. The gardens were a maze, tunnels of wisteria hung overhead and brushed Enid's hair as she walked beneath them. Ancient stone archways cloaked in ivy led to cobbled pathways in a walled garden, lined by tall hedgerows sparsely lit with twinkling orbs.

As Enid followed the silver haired Fae deeper into the palace gardens the sweet, floral scent of wildflowers and the aromatic, fresh scent of every herb known and unknown to mortals wafted into Enid's nose.

They passed a myriad of tinkling fountains and waterfalls before they reached a lake at the edge of a forest, where two horses stood tied to a fallen tree branch.

At long last the silver haired Fae released Enid from her grasp.  Enid stopped in her tracks and stared as the Fae hurriedly untied the horses reins.

"Who are you?" Enid spoke up, trying her best to keep her voice from wavering.

"Seren, Aneurin's sister. Or should I say the King?" Her voice was soft and musical, yet authoritative and ethereal, like birdsong on a summer's morning.

Enid froze, her mother had died moments ago and yet Seren seemed unaffected, untouched by grief.

"I am sorry about your mother."

Seren scoffed and shook her head, passing the reins of a noble black horse to Enid.

"Do not be sorry she is dead, I am not. Whoever poisoned her did all of the Seelie court a favour."

Enid's mouth must have dropped open for Seren laughed heartily.

"I can already see why Aneurin is so...obsessed with you. You are strange for a mortal. Get on, we are leaving."

Seren mounted her horse effortlessly, silver hair falling over her shoulder elegantly like some Fairy from a mortal ballad. She turned to glance over at Enid and watched her curiously as she too mounted her horse. Perhaps she was surprised Enid even knew how to.