Chapter Twenty ~ Into the trees

When Enid awoke the sun had only just begun to rise, the sky outside the cave painted brilliant streaks of gold and pink

When Enid awoke the sun had only just begun to rise, the sky outside the cave painted brilliant streaks of gold and pink. The fire still smouldered from the night before, wisps of smoke dancing in the autumn breeze that blew into the cave.

From the still glamoured entrance, Aneurin appeared, his silver hair wet from a swim in the river. When his eyes met hers, she sat up, watching him as he moved towards her.

After what had taken place between them, they had slept entangled with one another, sharing soft kisses in the darkness.

Enid waited until he was before her when he held out his hand to help her up off the ground. Though once she was standing he did not let go, instead, pulling her to him, until there was barely any space left between them at all.

With a long, elegant finger, he tilted her chin up to look at him, and Enid felt the breath hitch in her throat as she found herself lost in the impossible depth of his untamed beauty.

From the droplets of water that slowly slipped down his forehead, to the way his grey eyes were unusually bright, his skin almost translucent.

All of the Fae were either breathtakingly beautiful or so ugly that a mortal would be driven mad at the sight of them.

Aneurin was not of the earthly realm, of that Enid was painfully reminded as he stood before her, bathed in the early morning sunlight, as beautiful and as deadly as a blade forged in a divine fire.

"What is keeping you so lost for words this morning?" He quipped, his lips lifting at the corners, amusement simmering within his eyes.

She wanted to tell him how afraid she was of what their future held, she wanted to scream at him all the reasons that they wouldn't last.

That it wasn't just because of her seeing what the Fae do to their enemies, but also because she was mortal and he was immortal.

And most of all, she wanted to tell him of how she feared what would become of him when she inevitably died, and when all that was left of her was the dust from her bones.

But with a single touch of his hand against her cheek, she didn't.

"Well, I'm not sure about the Fae, but if humans don't get much sleep at night they do tend to be tired the following day," Enid replied, taking a sharp breath when Aneurin took hold of her waist and pressed her to him, his lids half-closed as he gazed down at her.

"If I had my way you wouldn't have slept at all."

And with that, his lips were on hers.

Enid's hands wrapped themselves around the nape of his neck, following blindly as Aneurin guided her until the small of her back came into contact with the cold stone of the cave.

Abruptly and leaving her pining for more, Aneurin pulled away, his hands going to either side of her head.

Enid couldn't help noticing his dishevelled hair and his swollen rosy lips. Unwittingly, she reached out and ran her thumb along his bottom lip.