Chapter Ten ~ Sacrifice

Blue sky was framed by tall, evergreen trees, as white clouds sailed across the sea of cerulean

Aneurin's hand was entwined with Enid's, resting on the ground.

They were soft and petal veined, long and elegant and etched into her memory.

These were hands she would never forget.

The words her mother had said to her churned round and round in her head.

'Those are a girl's words and like a girl he has treated you.'

Perhaps her mother was right, and most of the time, she was. But not about this.

How could she be? She had only met Aneurin briefly in a passing greeting.

With a turn of her head she looked over at him, as if sensing her eyes on him, he too tilted his head to the side.

"Something is troubling you, what is it?" He asked.

"My mother knows about us."

Despite how much it was troubling Enid, Aneurin seemed unfazed.

"And does this trouble you?"

"A little." She replied.

His face softened and he rolled over to lie on his side.

"I always knew this day would come, it was just a matter of when."

"What should I do?"

"She will never see eye to eye with you. You have an understanding of my kind that she does not. You must try to appease her, give her no reason to think that you are in any sort of danger." He smiled, it was a quick quirk of his lips, but it soothed Enid's fears all the same.

"And if that does not work? If she prevents me from leaving?"

Aneurin let out a sigh, brushing a stray hair away from Enid's face.

"Then, I may follow through with my plans to kidnap you."

She let out a laugh and he beamed over at her.

"You cannot kidnap me!"

"And why ever not? Is there some human law against it?"

Enid sat up and Aneurin was quick to follow.

"If I went with you, I would never see my family again."

He brushed her hair to one side, running a gentle finger along her cheek.

"I would never stop you from seeing your family. If you came with me, you could always come back."

Grey eyes moved to the far edge of the meadow, beyond the darkness of the trees.

"I could take you away to my land." He said slowly, as though he were in a dream and far away from her.

"And then what? I am human, I will fade away into dust while you forever remain young and beautiful."