Chapter Eight

The first day was hard not be around Campbell, the night before I laid awake, listening to the outside, the cars, the wind, the scream of a fox and a boom box of a gaggle of loud teens passing by.

I probably fell asleep around somewhere between four and five.

I awoke groggy and weak, changing was a little harder this morning, especially getting out of bed. I tried not letting it get to me but it was becoming increasingly harder as the day moved on.

Surprisingly I didn't see Campbell once today, not at breakfast, not mourning by the radio station, not in the Television room, nowhere.

I sighed wandering the halls, listening to the upbeat song of The Beatles. Though the context of the song wasn't so.
Eleanor Rigby.

I wondered if it was aimed.

I stood and watched the radio station, on the outside people were thriving. Though on the inside, in the booth looked sad and quiet. Aside from Rosalie in there cleaning away, to her hearts content, Eddie looked miserable with his bottle of whiskey, taking light sips.

I think he noticed me staring at some point as he tipped his head back indicating for me to enter.

I gulped and walked in.

The smell of detol destroying my nose, god I forgot how strong it was. I clenched my nose for a moment with my hand before breathing out my mouth and released my damaged nose. Eddie seemed amused.

"You alright?" He asked as I shrugged.
"Don't blame you, I'm sure the week will fly by before you and Campbell know it." He tried reassuring me, I would like to be hopeful, I'd like to believe that the time would fly by. That would be great actually if it did.

"I know you're not supposed to be in here but it didn't feel right if you get me." Eddie paused.
"You're not as passionate about Radio as Campbell is are you." He asked but it seemed more rhetorical than a question.
"Have you ever done radio?" He asked as I shook my head.
"I called in once and won a fiver but not really professionally." I answered honestly as he chuckled.

He offered the chair beside him and I sat down in it.

"Would you like to have a go?" He asked as I frowned unsure. I think he got the hint as he turned the fader down and done his schtick. As he put on another song and turned back to me, giving me his attention.

"It's honestly not as bad once you get used to it, if you had a radio name what would you call yourself?" He asked as I hummed, If I were a radio host what would call myself, what would I?

I thought about for a few minutes, I think I started daydreaming, daydreaming of my childhood. Daydreaming of a box, it was a brightly coloured box with a big yellow star on the sides and then- BOO!

A jack in the box, I loved them when I was younger, I used to dress up like one for Halloween.

Called myself wacky-Jacky.
That's it.
That's what I'll call myself.

"Wacky-Jacky." I muttered as Eddie frowned and then smiled.
"Keeping on theme I see." He smirked as I shrugged smiling.
"Why that though?" He asked as I glanced down towards the carpeted floor.
"It was an old nickname I had when I was younger, I had a strange liking for jack in the boxes so." I gazed back up as he hummed, interest taking over as he soon went on with his job.
"Nostalgia wins I guess." He muttered packing up as I helped him.

{Time-Skip}

I sat talking with Tilly in my room, she made a late night visit, she had brought me a small cake, she tried making herself. It was a great attempt. I loved it.

"Y'know, I caught your friend by your bedroom door before I popped in, he handed me a letter, said he was gonna shove it under the door for you but it was lucky I came in just when I did." She said pulling the small piece of folded paper out her purse.

"He's being right cheeky with the rules but it is fairly funny to watch." She smiled as I unfolded the note.

"What's it say? Though I suppose it's none of my business really." She asked as I read through it.

' Dear Joey,

If I can't communicate to you verbally then I'll write to you instead if you can read my chicken scratch-

How was your day?
[you can communicate to me through this letter just shove it under the door when you're done]

Do anything fun?

I know my days been stressful- it was a bitch getting out to get paper, I mean what corner shop doesn't sell paper?! Like come on- just been to hell and back just so I can still talk to you! It's worth it though :)

Sincerely, yours truly,
Campbell Bain xoxo '

I smiled and left Tilly on hold as I rushed up to grab a pen, fiddling through my drawers as Tilly watched me.
Nothing.

"Tilly do you have a pen?" I asked as she stared at me bewildered.

"I should have-" she said rummaging through her purse handing me a red pen. I began writing back to him answering his questions happily before folding the note back up and handed Tilly back her capped red pen.
"On your way out do you mind handing this back to Campbell?" I asked her as she sighed.

"I ain't a bloody carrier pigeon you know but fine, I'm only doing this for you." She said shoving the letter back in her purse but handed me the pen back.

"You can keep the pen, I have a feeling you're gonna need it." She said getting up from the bed.
"And I've got a feeling I'll need to be heading." She stretched and gave me a hug before heading off home, I stood by my door watching her shove the letter under Campbells door, I could feel that whizz soaring through me as she did.

Maybe this week won't be so bad after all.