Chapter Nine

Day two wasn't all too bad, I had spent most of my time in my room sending notes back and forth to Campbell like a giggling school girl, lying belly first on my bed, legs levitating kicking gently while writing back to him in the appropriate spaces.

I'd find myself chewing the end of the pen sometimes.

Tilly wouldn't be too fond of it when I return it to her, if she even wants the pen back after I'm done with it. She did say I could keep it so I'm sure she's fine with this.

Day three the letters were coming in awfully slow, I managed to get one early in the morning and one at night. I fear Isabel and or Stevie might've caught on to our secret letter rendezvous. It wasn't ideal but it's not like Campbell mentioned them in his letters and they haven't came up to either one of us.

So I fear we're fine for now.

Day four came along and I had an abundance of them or well more than yesterday at least. Each letter becoming more honest and intimate, I felt special, I felt closer to Campbell. Even if it was through a letter.

We tried writing to each other like we were a couple forbidden to ever be together.

Tried curling our writing using fancy words, if we could and only if they made sense. Just too old kings, one looney and the other just as mad, I actually rather enjoyed it.

Day five came rolling round and the letters stopped completely.

I was torn bored that day, I tried holding myself up in my room, Isabel would come in and check on me from time to time. She didn't pry but she did try and get me to do little jobs for her so at least I was out. I'd go out on a milk run as there wasn't much left for tea and when I'd come back I'd be in my room again. She'd tell me the floor needed a sweep and so I'd sweep, I'd then mop and then I'd be dusting shelves or corners, just so long as I wasn't in my room.

I could tell she felt bad and I didn't blame her one bit. I never wanted to blame her. Not once. Not ever.

And when day six came along with no letters, no red pen to be at use.

I would wander by the radio station, to help Eddie out, whether it be playing a record, or fading out the music for him so I'd get used to it. It was rather fun and kept my mind off Campbell, surprisingly enough.

I was basically taking over his domain.

Then the finale day was here, and I didn't know if my excitement grew or blundered. I wanted to see him, hear his voice, his excitable eyes.

The urge to hold him.

I sighed eating my breakfast with Francine for the last time, I've been eating with her for the past week or Fergus from time to time or we'd all eat together.
It was nice.
Though Francine would rather keep to herself.

After I'd head to the radio station and help Rosalie clean, she'd watch to make sure I was scrubbing right or sometimes she'd butt in and do it herself. Though she was rather impressed with my progress, this was also something she'd rather do by herself.

Next I'd help Eddie with the radio.

It was something I enjoyed and I understood the appeal.

I got to say something today, people got to know wacky-Jacky, it had my heart racing but Eddie was proud of me and for a moment I thought I saw Campbell in the active crowd.

It made my heart pang.

I sighed tidying away the records into their correct packet.

Though there would be a moment where I'd stare at the record shelf and just stand there holding a record. Just having a moment to myself, staring off, vision blurring till Eddie would interrupt patting my shoulder. Then I'd shove the record away and reassure him.

He'd nod like he understood but I think he was worried.

"Time to lock up Joe." He said, though I don't think I was ready to leave, I wanted to stay, I wanted to keep distracting myself.

"Uhh but what about the shelves." I gulped as he cocked a brow.
"They've been cleaned Joe, you helped clean them remember." He told me as I groaned mentally, trying to come up with another excuse to stay.
"What about the records?" I said.
"They're all fine Joe, Rosalie sorted them out." He stepped back into the room and I think I just gave up, I sat back down in my chair covering my face with my hands, while my elbows rested firmly on my thighs.

Eddie sat down beside me I could feel his hesitant hand shadow my back and soon he decided rubbing the length of my back.

"What's wrong Joe?" He asked.
"I don't think I can do this anymore Eddie." I sighed pinching the bridge of my nose as I heard Eddie gulp, I wouldn't blame him. My sentence did sound a little cryptic.
"Like I'm not gonna kill myself, I'm just- I'm just so exhausted- I'm so exhausted of waiting, I know I should be grateful that it was only a week and not longer and I can only imagine how Campbells feeling right now." I frowned clasping my hands.

"I just miss him like he misses this radio station." I muttered biting my lip.

"I know, I know you do." He whispered gently.
"Why did he stop sending me those letters- it was just so sudden- I just-" my breath hitched and I could feel my eyes warm and my body tremble.
"He sent you letters? That cheeky bastard-" Eddie hissed as I sniffled rubbing my eyes.
"They were awfully sweet as well, I just don't get why he stopped- I understand if he ran out of paper or if Stevie butted in and confiscated them but I'm sure he would've announced something unless he wanted to mess with us cause he knows Campbell isn't allowed to talk to me and I with him." I hummed as Eddie sighed.

"Well Stevie's the bastard then- to be fair Stevie's always been a bastard- don't tell him that." Eddie said as I stifled a chuckle and mimicked a zip to my lips.

"I probably shouldn't but I could snoop around a wee bit." He offered as I shook my head.

"It's fine, I can just ask Campbell tomorrow- thank you though." I smiled wiping my eyes again as Eddie got up from the seat.
"It's no bother but Joe I really need to lock up now." He said as I awed and got up from the chair, we both exited and Eddie locked up.