Chapter Eleven

"Welcome back Joe, how's your week been?" Mrs. Peddling asked, leaning back in her chair, sliding on her glasses as she prepared herself for our second session. I fear it was gonna get a little more intimate today, a lot more feelings involved.

"Not the easiest but not the worst." I said as she nodded.

"And why is that?" She asked as I glanced down at her desk, not wanting to make eye contact.
"Well the uhh- I was- well not only me- Campbell and I were punished last week! Because we snuck into the radio room one night to listen to some music- it was really just an apology cause he made me feel uncomfortable but we still got punished and separated from each other." I scrambled for the right wording, Mrs. Peddling hummed scribbling stuff into her jotter.

"And how did that make you feel?" She asked as I glanced back up at her for a moment.

"I suppose I was sad." I shrugged as she furrowed a brow.
"You suppose?" She cooed as I gulped and nodded slightly.
"I wasn't exactly happy with the separation, we weren't allowed to stand next to each other or talk or do anything with each other till the week ended." I explained.
"But we did managed a way past it, we wrote to each other through letters and would post them underneath each others doors but as the week grew further the little I received letters..." I paused, taking a breath.
"I felt lonely for the remainder but I felt rather relieved when he apologised and sort of explained his situation though it was mainly Fergus who told me." I frowned, I don't know if my explanation made any sense.

"I see.." she muttered as she kicked a leg over the other gently banging her knee in the process, she grimaced.

{Time-Skip}

Campbell and I walked around town, heading down the streets of busy argyle, the weather was grey, it was usually quite grey. I can't even remember the last time I seen the sun, well here at least.

"I hear it's gonna be sunny tomorrow." Campbell spoke like he was reading my mind.

"Aww really?" I replied as he nodded with a smile.
"Hear it's gonna be a swelter- I mean it's already 17° today! Imagine 23° tomorrow! I'd be dying." He huffed shoving his hands into the front of his hoodie pocket.
"Might chance it tomorrow and ask to go out again, do a wee bit of sunbathing- though I do tend to burn!" He shrugged as I just listened to him.

"What about you? Want to join me?" He asked as I gave it some thought.

"Can't remember the last time I sunbathed, sure! I'd love to!" I smiled as Campbell wrapped an arm round my shoulder as we walked. He squeezed me happily as we walked through the entrance of an American sweet shop. We gandered at the options like we had money to spend. We could only spend with our eyes, which isn't as fun as it was.

"Oh look! They have Opalfruits!" Campbell pointed out as I looked and awed.
"Too bad I forgot my wallet." He frowned.

I gulped at an itching urge, oh to steal again.

I've done it once, I could probably do it again, where could I shove the long packet? I could try my sleeves, they're long enough, same with my trouser leg but they might shimmy out the bottom, I hummed biting my lip. My sleeves seemed like the obvious option but.

"What're you thinking about?" Campbell asked as I jumped slightly.

"Uhh taxes-" I blurted as he giggled shaking his head.
"You don't pay taxes- neither do I right enough! What're you really thinking about?" He asked bumping my hip playfully.
"Is it about me?" He teased as I hummed a breathy laugh, blushing slightly.

"Oh Campbell Bain! " I swatted at him, listening to his laughs of sly joy.

I glanced around the shop, the shop keeper seemed busy reading a magazine, I glanced back down at the sweets, while Campbell wandered over else where as I quickly shoved two packets down my sleeve jacket. I headed for the door, Campbell taking notice and followed behind me. The shop keeper didn't make a peep, maybe I was Scot free, I thought as I rushed outside. The packet of opal-fruits slapping around in my arm.

"Why'd you leave? I mean fair enough we don't have any money but there was still plenty to look at!" Campbell asked glancing back at the shop before looking back at me. I shut my lips tight, and slowly revealed the packets in my sleeve making him gasp. He took my hand and led me a little further away from the shop, just round the corner so we could discuss of my crime privately.

"You didn't! Oh my god Joey Herbert you didn't!" He whispered anxiously, his hand still interwoven with my own, squeezing tightly.

"You wanted them didn't you?" I asked as he sighed through his teeth and reached a hand back holding his head.
"I mean yeahhh! But like you're supposed to pay for things, don't get me wrong I'm grateful that you- how'd you even manage this?!" He questioned interrupting himself.
"I mean I've done it before- well in a library- it was so scary! I think a woman caught me before but didn't say a word! And while in the sweet shop the cashier wasn't looking so it was easy pickings!" I explained gazing done at my winnings.

"Should we return them?" I asked as Campbell frowned and hummed uneasy.

"Well it would be the right thing but it's too late now so why let them go to waste!" He smirked as I smiled and handed him his own packet as I held my own.
"We should probably wait till we get back to St. Jude's, we don't want to get caught!" He said as I nodded as we made our way back.

{Time-Skip}

We sat on the steps at the entrance of St. Jude's, a small breeze picked up blowing our sweet wrappers to the side, tumbling gently down the remaining steps.

We chewed happily on our sweets, they were sticky and stuck to the roofs of our mouths as they had melted a bit in our pockets. I sort of wished I stole us drinks, I was dying for one but I suppose I could wait till we got in.

"I hate to say it." Campbell hummed sticking a finger in his mouth collecting his stuck sweet.

"I wish you stole more often, sweet wise at least! This is the best!" He cooed as I smiled.
"Think I deserve a kiss for my work." I muttered slyly as Campbell hummed gawking at me.
"A what? Did I hear that right? A kiss was it?" Campbell grinned as I shrugged peeling back the rest of the wrapper with a smirk, collecting my final sweet. It was strawberry.

"Could be." I mumbled as I felt a gentle peck to my cheek, I could feel warmth building in my cheeks like I had just turned on a radiator.

"Now don't be going around the ward bragging to people alright, that's for only us to know." He said shoving his last two Opal-Fruits in his mouth while mines just hovered over my lips. I gulped, the sickly feeling of familiarity churned in my stomach.

Why is it always there for Campbell Bain?

I fear I had an idea as to why and it's not like I hate the idea, I love the thought, I love the feeling that maybe. Just maybe.

I like Campbell Bain.