Chapter 1

The seasons marched by in a slow, steady fashion, and with each year that passed, the young lady living at Mayfield Manor grew more and more beautiful. Her bright sunlight hair had matured into a rich dawn glow, and her features had curved and sharpened, creating an exquisite combination of femininity and intelligence.

Keeping a careful eye over her young ward's upbringing, Lady Mayfield's quick intellect and extensive knowledge of the upper class catered for the best tutors and masters to be brought to the Manor, some staying several months at a time for Cordelia to master every necessary detail.

The Dowager Countess' abrupt departure from society had left many aghast. What had initially been concluded to be a state of mourning had soon waned to much more sensational assumptions when she did not return after the period of mourning had passed.

Countless rumours circulated as to why she had retired to the country with her young niece, who had been living under her care for not more than a month. Many had stipulated that the young girl, who had come from a family of distant relatives, had been the cause of her leaving. Some even went so far as to say that she had the mannerisms of a pig, and so caused her aunt to leave before any further embarrassment was caused.

But although they were tasty pieces to chew, they lacked sustenance. How could the toast of London leave because of an embarrassment, which could have easily been rectified by sending her back to her family? It made little sense.

But the secret of their leaving remained precisely that, even to the servants who kept Mayfield Manor. The only person who knew the full extent was Cordelia's nurse, Martha.

Life was simple at the Manor for many years, and the peace and tranquillity brought no desire for the Dowager to let her niece be out in society. Already, her first year as a debutant had come and gone, but Cordelia had expressed no enthusiasm about returning to London when it was mentioned, making it quite clear that she was happiest living in the country.

So her aunt let her be.

It was one fine spring morning when the decision to return to London was brought to light once more, pressured by the arrival of a couple who had been friends with Lady Mayfield and her late husband for many years. They visited from time to time, but the calls were far fewer than they had been in the city, the Dowager electing to spend most of her time attending to matters on the estate, which left little room to entertain.

It was unusual to see Lady Mayfield be complacent in the country, for her fame as a successful member of society was known far and wide. And this was once again noted when the couple was assisted by the coachman.

"My dear Eloise! How lovely it is to see you again," greeted Lady Topham as she stepped down from the coach. "We have not had the pleasure of your company for too long and felt we must make a call."

Lady Mayfield offered her guests a curtsy, her cheeks a little flustered from returning from a brisk walk to the stables and in doing so had met her friends at the entrance to her home. "Your words are too kind, Mary-Anne. I trust that your journey was an enjoyable one."

"Quite so," responded the lady with a smile. "There is nothing that can compare to the country scenery, although it is unfortunate that your abode is so far from London. I hope that you return soon so that we may see more of you. The city has been a dull grey upon your departure."

Lady Mayfield smiled at her friend's compliment as they entered the Manor and were directed towards the drawing room. "I am certain that society has fared well enough without me. Believe it or not, I have come to find joy in the simple matters of living out in the country. It reminded me of a fond childhood that had been forgotten throughout the years."