Chapter 5

The days in London passed by in a similar fashion. From when Cordelia awoke to when she went to sleep, dinner parties, soirées, and dress fittings were all she had time to think about. The season was now at its full, splendid height with the first of the operas and balls to commence.

It was one fine spring evening as Cordelia was being made ready for the first opera of the season. Dressed in an evening gown made of fine silk and ribbon, she felt that her dressmaker had outdone herself. The very essence of the gown appeared to drip in jewels and shone like the brightest star. It was, without a doubt, the most beautiful gown that she had the pleasure of wearing.

"If only you could see me now, Mamma," Cordelia whispered as she gazed upon her reflection for one sombre moment.

The sun had set, leaving her room dark and forlorn against the backdrop of the blackening sky, the flickering flame of the candle on her nightstand offering little comfort to her. She looked at her surroundings, the fine gold-trimmed wood and elegant furniture, the satin drapes that were drawn to ward off the evening chill.

How different her life would have been had her parents not passed.

When she was little, she had thought that she was destined to the life of a milkmaid, to slave away for someone else's profit year after year. However, as depressive as it may have sounded upon knowing what life was like for the wealthy, she did not think that she would have minded the simple way of living. She had lived in the country for over twelve years, and she had loved the animals dearly.

The work . . . Well, one could learn to tolerate anything.

When she was young, she had always thought that she would have married a humble farmer who, although poor, would have loved her and their children dearly and provided for them in the best way he could. She knew such a life would have been difficult, but she had always dreamed of someone loving her so devotedly. It would not have mattered if he was wealthy or poor.

But, she supposed, her aunt had made arrangements for her to be raised in high society long before anyone knew the tragedy that would befall her family. And so, her childhood thoughts were never to come true.

Although, she still hoped that one day she would marry someone for love. There was a small possibility, though it had drastically decreased by being surrounded by the aristocracy, who knew of nothing else but wealth and status and cared only for relationships that would bring them to an even higher standing than one already gained.

"Miss Cordelia, the carriage is ready," Martha's voice was soft to her ears, like a mother's gentle kiss.

Cordelia drew a deep breath into her lungs as she turned to look at her old nurse, the first soul to offer her kindness when she arrived at Mayfield House. From the start, she had liked the old woman. Though it had taken some time to grow accustomed to her new environment, she had soon found a softness in the old woman's eyes that was extremely comforting and somewhat familiar in a world so unknown to her. And her gentle corrections aided her greatly in her transition to her new way of living.

"Thank you, Martha," she uttered as she collected the matching pair of gloves from the top of her dresser.

Ensuring that her hair was neatly pulled away from her face, she made her way to the entrance hall where her aunt and cousin were waiting for her. Lady Mayfield looked beautiful in a dark satin gown that enhanced the darkness of her hair and eyes. Although she had been a widow for several years and seemed in no hurry to marry again, Cordelia knew without a doubt that she was a breathtaking woman who would have no difficulty in remarrying.

It was something that puzzled her, for everyone always seemed focused on marriage. But the Dowager seemed quite content to remain a widow.

Her cousin, on the other hand, seemed less than pleased at being forced to leave his study to go to something as mundane as an opera. He did not enjoy such frivolous displays, and he made his sentiments clear to the two ladies as he escorted them from the house.