Chapter 3

"My, but it certainly is refreshing being back on familiar ground. Wouldn't you agree, Landon?" the Dowager Marchioness stated as her ruby-studded fan created a gentle breeze upon her face, the carriage jostling slightly upon the cobblestone road.

Her dark eyes flittered to the handsome gentleman seated across from her when she received no response. He was leaning against the cushioned backrest, arms crossed over his broad chest as he stared out the window at the passing buildings surrounding them, an apathetic expression on his face.

Her forehead creased in a frown. "Landon, did you not hear me?"

"I heard you perfectly well, Mother. But I am indifferent to your sentiments regarding the city and felt it pointless to agree with you," he responded, his deep timbre filling the quiet carriage as he continued to look beyond the window.

The Dowager's red-stained lips twisted in a frown. "Oh, do you have to be so tiresome, Landon? You know that you must find a wife sooner or later. It is the start of the Season and so the city is the best place to look for one."

He turned his stormy gaze towards her then, his handsome features hardening considerably. "I do not wish to marry someone from the city. I am still attempting to get the estates to right and thus have no time to gallivant with hordes of pampered dolls who will ruin all my work in an instant if given half the chance to do so."

His sharp eyes bore into his mother's, and he noticed her shoulders tense at the insinuation lying beneath his words. With a huff, she fanned herself faster. "I only wish to see you have a bit of fun and enjoy your youth."

"It is because you and father enjoyed yourselves too much that I now cannot afford such luxury."

The words were cutting and his expression stern as their gazes clashed for a few turns before the Dowager eventually huffed and looked away, silently bringing an end to the discussion, much to the gentleman's relief.

He returned his gaze to the outside world, taking note of the few changes that had occurred to the city since he was last here. The park near their house looked very much the same, except for a few changes made to the arrangements, including a few new statues erected.

It was as he was looking at a particular display that he noticed a party of four people walking in the distance. They were too far away for him to see their features, but there was something about the one lady that caught his eye. He was not sure if it was her day dress of cornflower blue that drew his attention or how she seemed more invested in looking at the various flowers than listening to her companion, but there was just something almost . . . recognizable about her.

However, before he could watch them further to ascertain his sudden interest, the carriage turned, cutting them from his view. He could not explain the sudden disappointment he felt, and his lips turned in disdain at himself.

He was already dreading his stay to the highest degree. He did not have time for useless frivolity when there were so many things of greater importance that demanded his attention.

"Ah, here we are!" the Dowager suddenly exclaimed as the carriage drew to a halt before their London home.

For the briefest second, he contemplated instructing the driver to take him to the park so that he may investigate the cause for his sudden interest in the woman further, but he shook his head at the thought. She had been accompanied by a gentleman. They were most likely married, and here he was barely stifling the desire to find out more about her.

Despicable.

The door was opened, and he watched his mother be assisted from the carriage before he stepped down onto the paving. Angry with himself for his incomprehensible impulsiveness, Lord Midrake was about to make his way into the house when his mother's words made his steps falter.