Chapter 16

[A/N] Happy New Year, everyone! And I hope that the new year showers you all with happiness, peace, and love.  

The Marquis frowned as he watched the Duke, far too aware of the young lady standing close beside him. "Well, she must have accidentally used it too harshly on him, which caused him to rear to the side."

"But she does not wear spurs with him," Cordelia muttered, causing both men to look at her. "He is such a spirited horse that he needs not crop nor spur to move. And I saw her boots. Spurs were not attached."

The Duke twisted his lips. "So then what could have caused the spur wound?"

His gaze bore into hers, as though he already knew the answer and was waiting for her to admit it.

She shook her head. "No, Lord Tilbur is a gentleman. He would never have done something as heinous as spur another's horse intentionally. It must have been an accident if it was."

Lord Kentwood rolled his tongue over his teeth. "Then where is your beau so that I may discuss this with him myself?"

Cordelia flushed and averted her gaze. "I do not know. He left a while ago for another appointment."

"How convenient," Lord Kentwood hissed, his anger catching the young lady by surprise. He turned to leave the room. "I shall wait on him at his residence. Midrake, I assume you shall join me?"

The Marquis glanced down at Cordelia's startled expression. He had known the Duke for some time now and knew that he was not a man quick to anger. But he was undoubtedly livid, and he knew he would have to be present during the altercation to ensure it did not flame into something drastic.

He nodded towards the Duke. "Very well. I shall join you."

When he stepped away from her, he suddenly felt cold, and his jaw tightened at the feeling. He wanted nothing more than to return to her side, to ask her what he had been desperate to say since the ball, but propriety demanded his attention, and so he offered her a short bow in farewell before leaving the room with the Duke.

Cordelia's fingers trembled as she slowly returned to her quiet vigil over her aunt, the soft crackle of the charred wood in the fireplace breaking the silence from time to time as she sat there in disbelief. No, she could not believe that the Viscount would do something like that. Why would he intentionally try to harm her aunt's horse?

She only hoped that the Duke would not say something that would threaten a duel. He seemed incensed enough to attempt one.

With a heavy sigh, she leaned back in her chair and rubbed her hands down her face. The events of the day were causing a dull headache to form behind her eyes. Since she had not fully recovered from her own illness, her body was beginning to feel the effects of the day, and her eyes lowered with fatigue though she made no effort to return to her bed, not wanting to leave her aunt just yet.

A little while later, she heard the drawing-room door open, and Dr. Whitely entered to do a brief examination of her aunt before retreating to his room once more. Martha came not long after him and brought a cup of tea and some scones with her.

Cordelia accepted the tea, but she battled to eat the scones, the texture rolling about in her mouth and unwilling to be swallowed.

She had just finished her cup when the butler gently knocked on the door. She called for him to enter, and she watched as he bowed. "Lady Alicia has called on you," he stated. "May I show her through?"

Cordelia rose to her feet. "I would rather see her in the morning room. I do not want any more disturbances around my aunt."

He nodded and left to show her friend to the room. When she met her, the usual greetings were made, followed by Alicia expressing her concern for her aunt and wishes for a fast recovery. Martha had just set down a new tray for tea when the butler entered once more, announcing Cordelia's brother's arrival.