Chapter 30

The assembly room was stifling and crowded, a feeling that Cordelia did not particularly appreciate as she stood off to the side. Couples were dancing in a lively fashion to the music, and she was grateful that she had not been asked to dance yet. Her mind was too full of the recent activities and knew that she would not do any of the movement's justice.

Though she was glad that most people offered them a wide berth due to their status, Cordelia felt more singled out than ever before. Lord Kentwood had arrived with Lord and Lady Mayfield, and with the addition of Lord and Lady Topham, Cordelia felt as though she was a sore thumb amongst her peers.

Even her brother had found plenty of pretty partners to occupy himself with.

Her dear friend Alicia was nothing but smiles and brimming eyes as she gazed upon her new husband with an adoration that seemed quite unsuitable to the seemingly indifferent Earl. Even after learning of their engagement, Cordelia still found it difficult to comprehend how the two of them were suited for each other.

"Perhaps we should ask Mr. Bryton to introduce you to someone, Cordelia," Lady Topham stated with a worrisome frown marring her pretty face. "It is most unfortunate that you should have to sit out on such joyful music."

"I am enjoying it just as much standing here as if I were dancing, Lady Topham," she responded with a smile. "Besides, we already know several men in this room, and I have no desire to dance with any of them."

"Why ever not?" she asked aghast. "You must have a dance, Cordelia. You simply must!"

"Because I have no wish to be made a spectacle of by a gentleman again."

The Dowager Countess remained silent as she watched her niece avert her gaze from Lady Topham, who stared at her at a complete loss for words while a sombre silence settled over them.

Alicia looked between them all before fluttering her fan before her face. "Upon my word, it is stifling in this room. Cordelia, please accompany me to get a little fresh air."

Cordelia said nothing but followed after her friend quietly as they moved through the merry people talking animatedly with one another. The noise was deafening in her ears, and while Cordelia had come to enjoy her time at social gatherings, she wished to be at home in her comfortable bed where she could sleep her troubles away.

They found an open seat before a neatly built set of windows and the two friends sat down in silence. The party was a little quieter here, allowing for easy conversation, and the space helped Cordelia feel a little more at ease. Until she looked up into her friend's concerned gaze.

"What is the matter, Cordelia? Something has happened since I saw you last. You cannot fool me on that. Please, will you tell me what it is?"

Cordelia pressed her lips into a thin line at her friend's request. She did not want to mention the Marquis. She did not even want to think of him! But her friend's imploring gaze and supportive hand on her arm made her defences weaken, and she sighed as she slumped slightly in her seat.

"I saw Lord Midrake."

Alicia's expression eased into one of shock. "Really, where?"

"In the south meadow. I was on a ride with Leviathan, and we happened to cross each other."

"The south meadow . . . What was he doing on Mayfield?"

Cordelia had never asked the question to him, but judging by the path their conversation had taken, she could comfortably guess as to his reason. But she merely responded with, "I . . . am not certain of his reason."

Alicia leaned a little closer. "And what did he say?"

Her heart twisted, and she gritted her teeth to keep her emotions in order and appear nonchalant. "Nothing of too great interest. He admitted that he was in Rome."